Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theweber3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Washington State
Anyone found any good DSLR cameras that has the Geotagging capability?

I really would like to use the iLife feature of "Maps" I just cant seem to find a good camera....

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Use your iPhone!

Since you own an iPhone 3G, use it as a GPS data logger and you can geotag photos taken with any digital camera. No expensive GPS DSLR camera required.

The iPhone app I use for this purpose is GeoLogTag. It exports a GPX file that you can use in combination with the free Mac geotagging app GPSPhotoLinker.

I advize you to try this very cheap alternative ($5) before buying a very expensive GPS DSLR camera.

UPDATE: The latest version of GeoLogTag no longer requires the use of a third-party Mac geotagging app (like GPSPhotoLinker). GeoLogTag now does the geotagging itself. It connects (over WiFi) to a Mac shared folder and geotags the photos. I have no idea how this is done technically, but I tried it and it just works.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Since you own an iPhone 3G, use it as a GPS data logger and you can geotag photos taken with any digital camera. No expensive GPS DSLR camera required.

The iPhone app I use for this purpose is GeoLogTag. It exports a GPX file that you can use in combination with the free Mac geotagging app GPSPhotoLinker.

I advize you to try this very cheap alternative ($5) before buying a very expensive GPS DSLR camera.

The iPhone was ruled out when he said he wanted a "good camera".

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
What I wanted to say is that you can use a 'normal' DSLR to take your high quality photos and use the iPhone as a GPS data logger (not as a camera).

So, the iPhone logs your location while you take photos with the DSLR and afterwards the location info can be put into the photos with a geotagging app.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'd still like an answer to theweber's question. I have a D50. The extra step to geotag from another gpx file is too much for me, most of the time. Sorry if that makes me lazy. But every solution that automatically writes gps data (even on the cameras with a port to attach a gps data logger) is really expensive. Are there any good alternatives, under $100?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'd still like an answer to theweber's question. I have a D50. The extra step to geotag from another gpx file is too much for me, most of the time. Sorry if that makes me lazy. But every solution that automatically writes gps data (even on the cameras with a port to attach a gps data logger) is really expensive. Are there any good alternatives, under $100?

I used this while I was in Europe and with the included software, it takes 5 minutes to geotag all your photos. If that's too much for you, then I think you're pretty screwed in terms of geotagging.

The iPhone is a horrible solution. For one, since there are no background apps, you can't have the geotagger running and do anything else on the iPhone at the same time. Second, that's going to run your battery down in no time.

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Whether the iPhone is an alternative or not is a choice everybody should make depending on his/her requirements.

- While I'm doing a hike and taking photos, I'm not doing anything else with my iPhone (except accepting calls). While GeoLogTag is running I can accept a call and when the call is finished, GeoLogTag automatically restarts and turns geologging on.
- My iPhone battery lasts 4h30 while running GeoLogTag which is more than sufficient for me.
- GeoLogTag costs $5, that's a fraction of the price of a separate GPS data logger.

For me this solution is sufficient, but I understand that other people have other requirements.

theweber3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Washington State

This would work if I took all of my photos in the United States, I travel to Mexico at least once a year. If i used this app i would be using data roaming which could get very expensive, right?

Krikke68

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
This would work if I took all of my photos in the United States, I travel to Mexico at least once a year. If i used this app i would be using data roaming which could get very expensive, right?

I had the same concern, so I contacted the developer of GeoLogTag. It turns out that while tracking your location GeoLogTag only uses the iPhone's GPS, so roaming is not an issue at all.

To be sure I did a test with the app with everything turned off (3G, WiFi, Bluetooth) and it worked as usual. I already used GeoLogTag while abroad and as expected there's no data roaming involved.
According to the developer you can even use it without a SIM card (I didn't test that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.