Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Looking at camera bodies on eBay through the MS Live 30% cash back link. $900 dollar body suddenly becomes a $700 dollar body (maximum of $200 off). Can't get deals like that even on Amazon.

What should I get? I want a DSLR. Yum yum.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Go to a store and try one, see which one handles the best (for you).

I don't think there's a bad SLR out there. Just more money equates to more or better features.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Go to a store and try one, see which one handles the best (for you).

I don't think there's a bad SLR out there. Just more money equates to more or better features.

Well I've handled a Canon XSi, I think it was. I've also had my hands on a Nikon D40 afaik.

I don't shoot sports, though I may find myself shooting cars as they move and whatnot. So frame rate capture may or may not be a large equation.

It seems a lot of users here like Pentax, though. A brand I've never considered previously.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I would think that the "I have $1000 for a DSLR camera body" thread would likely have answered many of your questions. Perhaps not all of them will be addressed, but it's worth a look. :)

Seems like there is a thread like this multiple times a week, with only slightly different topic titles. In the end, they always turn into a Nikon v.s. Canon debate.

image.php

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I would think that the "I have $1000 for a DSLR camera body" thread would likely have answered many of your questions. Perhaps not all of them will be addressed, but it's worth a look. :)

Seems like there is a thread like this multiple times a week, with only slightly different topic titles. In the end, they always turn into a Nikon v.s. Canon debate.

image.php

Well once a week isn't as bad as the "NEW MBP PICTURE" threads that spring up every 30 seconds lately. :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Looking at camera bodies on eBay through the MS Live 30% cash back link. $900 dollar body suddenly becomes a $700 dollar body (maximum of $200 off). Can't get deals like that even on Amazon.

What should I get? I want a DSLR. Yum yum.

The way to aproach this is to remember you are NOT buying a camera. You are buying into a system of parts. The DSLR body is just one part and actually the least important part. Once you own a system every other part you buy will be of the same brand. That SLR body will need to be replaced in five years but you replace it with the same brand. All your lenses will be the same brand and the flash unit(s) and so on.

People will tell you to fiddle with the controls on a (say) D40 and see if you like it. Well, before you commit to Nikon know that you are committing now to also buying Nikon in 2013 and 2018 or something like that. You can't hold those yet to be designed cameras so don't just pick up the D40. Look over the ENTIRE line of Nikon equipment and all the Pentax stuff too and choose the line (brand) you like. Pick out the set of lenses you might like to own and then finally buy the camera body that fits those lenses and your budget.

In short make the selection in this order: Brand, lenses, body.

Or you can forget all of the above and ask the sales guy at best Buy for help. He'll ask how much you are willing to spend and the show you the camera body and lens combo that sells at exactly that price point. Most people actually use this method to select a camera.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
T
Or you can forget all of the above and ask the sales guy at best Buy for help. He'll ask how much you are willing to spend and the show you the camera body and lens combo that sells at exactly that price point. Most people actually use this method to select a camera.

Do Best Buy push certain brands? I know in the UK brands are often pushed because of higher % returns.

(are Best Buy like Circuit City? - That was my only US electronics retail experience - apart from The Wiz, which was closing)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I like Pentax personally, they suit me the best, they may or may not suit you and only you can decide that.

But I should save you the trouble of having to check the thread over and over again and summarize what 99% of the rest of the people will tell you:

You need a Nikon or a Canon.

Really, you should get out and handle them all and make the decision on that.

SLC

skaliwag

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
South Oz
Look over the ENTIRE line of Nikon equipment and all the Pentax stuff too and choose the line (brand) you like. Pick out the set of lenses you might like to own and then finally buy the camera body that fits those lenses and your budget.

I did this with my purchase of a Canon. I wanted a full frame DSLR but funds and skill do not warrant that purchase now. So have started with the EOS 400d and adding good lenses that will compliment my future camera body purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.