Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Can anyone recommend a DSLR/SLR camera. I am a little unhappy at the moment. I bought a Kodak Z812 IS. Was a nice camera and I loved what it did, until.....

I turned it on the other day and it is very blurry, somes times does not power on, and it powers off on its own - especially when zooming. Sad part is, I only owned it 34-days and Walmart would not let me exchange it because I was 4-days past their 30 day return policy. I only wanted to exchange it for the same exact camera. Kodak told me within the first 45-days just bring it back to the store as they should take it back (for an exact exchange) based on vendor/distributor contracts -and they can easily RMA it back. Walmart would not budge.

So now I have to send it to Kodak (in Connecticut, I live in NC). I paid $229 (on sale) for the camera (well it was just over $300 by the time I added the SD card, extra batteries, sales tax). Problem is I have to send it UPS (has to have a tracking number) and high insurance (over the cost of the camera). shipping is going to cost me between $50 and $100. then its going to take 2 weeks just for Kodak to look at it (so I will not have it for thanksgiving). then to top it off, Kodak reserves the right to declare whether it is faulty or they think it was consumer related abuse or handling. then based on the decision:

If they declare it is warranty - they will fix only that part or send me a comperable refurb (so much for my brand new camera I just bought). they list a refurb as a returned item (ie another repair and the owner did not take it back or it was a return from the store) or one they used for demo and testing.

If they declare it is not warranty - they will quote me a price (obtaining my credit card number before the quote). If I feel the price is not right (like the quote would be the price of just buying another one), they will charge me an inspection fee that is $35 min. (and I say min because depending on what hey have to do to find what is faulty and what it would take to fix it).

So, I am already at 1/2 the price of the camera just for shipping and possible fee.

my wife is so ticked at the idea of me buying another camera, but she does see the point about sending it in for repair may not be worth it - considering it is already starting to add up to the price of the camera.... she felt Walmart should've just did the exchange also. it is not like I had the camera for 6 months or something, it was only 4 extra days.

:confused::mad: - So confused, so unhappy. either way I am going to be out close to $400 (original price, shipping, inspection fee?, etc) for a $229 camera.

The reason I bought this camera:

1. On-sale price
2. 12X Opticle zoom, then an additional 3X digital zoom on top of that.
3. HD
4. Too many other features to list
5. got a lot of great reviews (well except for a couple recently posted on Kodak's website (after I already bought mine) - appearantly 2 other people have experienced dead cameras after only a few weeks to a couple of months.
6. Native Quicktime files - ie just move them to my mac and they play in native OSX software

I really want to take avantage of all the features built into to iphoto, aperature, imovie, and final cut express...

So bummed.....

Also, now I have to go back and tell people - Sorry I will not be able to photo/film your events. I am also going to miss out on some great family moments (and my camera phone just does not cut it). with this month being the month of house and car taxes being due, I cannot afford to buy another camera right now and also not sure how I am going to squeeze out just shipping this one back.

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
oh boy

shervieux, you've gone and opened a big ole can o' worms. if you're looking for inexpensive, you're probably not going to find a new dslr in that price range.

but first things first.
1) no way you should be paying $50-100 to ship a camera. it isn't that big or heavy and even with insurance, it should only cost you $10-15.

2) go back and ask to speak to a manager at walmart (or go to a different walmart if you have one), be nice, state the problem, tell them that kodak advised you to return to the store and see what they say. usually, walmart has pretty good customer service. especially when you're being reasonable, but not budging, and holding up the return line. :)

if you decide to go the dslr route, try to pick up a used one on craigslist. i know canon recently released the XSi, so you should be able to get a good deal on the XTi. you can't go wrong with either Canon systems or Nikon systems (the 2 biggest, and I don't have experience with either Fuji or Sony systems, but they get great reviews, too).

i still think you can get walmart to exchange your camera if you press the issue. and that won't cost anything extra but the time and gas to get to the store.

Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
shervieux, you've gone and opened a big ole can o' worms. if you're looking for inexpensive, you're probably not going to find a new dslr in that price range.

but first things first.
1) no way you should be paying $50-100 to ship a camera. it isn't that big or heavy and even with insurance, it should only cost you $10-15.

2) go back and ask to speak to a manager at walmart (or go to a different walmart if you have one), be nice, state the problem, tell them that kodak advised you to return to the store and see what they say. usually, walmart has pretty good customer service. especially when you're being reasonable, but not budging, and holding up the return line. :)

if you decide to go the dslr route, try to pick up a used one on craigslist. i know canon recently released the XSi, so you should be able to get a good deal on the XTi. you can't go wrong with either Canon systems or Nikon systems (the 2 biggest, and I don't have experience with either Fuji or Sony systems, but they get great reviews, too).

i still think you can get walmart to exchange your camera if you press the issue. and that won't cost anything extra but the time and gas to get to the store.

Yes can of worms... I went to Walmart, spoke to the manager and the manager of the photo lab - had them call the manager of the Walmart I bought it from and also the district manager.

Shipping - yep it cost me $20 just to ship 2 CD's with no insurance to someone. Kodak wants it shipped UPS or DHL (not-ground due to the way packaged are handled) and insurance enought to cover the original cost of the camera plus.

I was also told to never buy used electronic equipment, unless you know the person specifically - so I am not sure about craigslist.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If the insurance is a large part of shipping cost don't do it. Right now you have a camera that is worthless to you. If they lose it, you are in the same spot. Just ship it cheap (or find a closer authorized repair depot, they are all over the place in Canada).

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
Yes can of worms... I went to Walmart, spoke to the manager and the manager of the photo lab - had them call the manager of the Walmart I bought it from and also the district manager.

Shipping - yep it cost me $20 just to ship 2 CD's with no insurance to someone. Kodak wants it shipped UPS or DHL (not-ground due to the way packaged are handled) and insurance enought to cover the original cost of the camera plus.

I was also told to never buy used electronic equipment, unless you know the person specifically - so I am not sure about craigslist.

Not sure how you're shipping. But you can ship 2 CD's for $5 via USPS Priority mail with their prepaid envelope (I've done it recently). Maybe it'll be $1 more if you get tracking with it. But I know from shipping lots of things across country, it isn't going to cost that much to ship a camera. I sent a 20 lb package across the country, via expedited shipping with Fed-Ex with insurance (for $250) and it cost less than $50. No way a small camera runs that amount.

As to buying electronics used-I know DSLR's are electronic, but i don't consider them as your typical electronics. Good quality are DSLR's usually last for years. You shouldn't have much to worry about it your careful about how you buy. But as always, that's your decision. I'll just tell you, you aren't getting a good, new DSLR for $250.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and I hope you get things worked out with your current camera.

Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Not sure how you're shipping. But you can ship 2 CD's for $5 via USPS Priority mail with their prepaid envelope (I've done it recently). Maybe it'll be $1 more if you get tracking with it. But I know from shipping lots of things across country, it isn't going to cost that much to ship a camera. I sent a 20 lb package across the country, via expedited shipping with Fed-Ex with insurance (for $250) and it cost less than $50. No way a small camera runs that amount.

As to buying electronics used-I know DSLR's are electronic, but i don't consider them as your typical electronics. Good quality are DSLR's usually last for years. You shouldn't have much to worry about it your careful about how you buy. But as always, that's your decision. I'll just tell you, you aren't getting a good, new DSLR for $250.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and I hope you get things worked out with your current camera.

thanks isleo... I will look at Fedex. anyway, here is the receipt for shipping the CD's and here is the picture of the camera I want to ship

kodak-easyshare-z812-is.jpg

shelbias

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i shipped back my Rebel XSi kit to the store in NY due to some defect when i got it. went through UPS, with ground shipping + $1000 insurance = $33 for a 5lbs box. I surmise the Rebel is a bigger (and heavier) camera than yours.

on buying from craigslist: as long as you do the transaction in person, you should be fine. that way, you can see the item and test it out before you fork over the money.

best of luck to you!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I got a used D50 with 1 month warranty for the equivalent of $215 a couple of weeks ago. (WITH THE ACCESSORIES)

Add to that a used AF-S DX 18-55 in excellent shape with a couple of months warranty (NEW would be $110)

This from a brick and mortar store, not online. It's not necessarily more expensive, one gains in peace of mind, and supports the local shops which are good to have.

There you have your $400 camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.