Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I love the dual lens and portrait mode of the iPhone 7plus but I wish we had it on the regular size iPhone models. It would be so awesome if we did! Does anyone know if the dual lens is rumored to be on this year's regular size iPhone model instead of only the plus size model? I'm really hoping it is because I would be so disappointed if it wasn't. The plus size is an awesome phone but it's too big for me. I've read all other rumors for this year's iPhone but haven't heard anything about the cameras yet.

Thanks,
Spooner

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love the dual lens and portrait mode of the iPhone 7plus but I wish we had it on the regular size iPhone models. It would be so awesome if we did! Does anyone know if the dual lens is rumored to be on this year's regular size iPhone model instead of only the plus size model? I'm really hoping it is because I would be so disappointed if it wasn't. The plus size is an awesome phone but it's too big for me. I've read all other rumors for this year's iPhone but haven't heard anything about the cameras yet.

Thanks,
Spooner

The dual camera will most certainly be re-introduced on the Plus model. Apple is not likely going to invest the dual camera on the smaller 4.7 iPhone, mainly they want the larger Plus model to be the sought after device. There have been very few (If any) rumors thus far about what to expect for the camera this Fall, aside from OLED.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
How did I know that the reply to my post would be a condescending troll? It's the internet, I don't know why I expected to get a serious answer. Oy!

Read what you posted then ask yourself how anyone would have information to your question. Everything is speculation until Apple announces it

Sorry you can't handle the truth.

Reactions: Stevessvt

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Doubt it. Both the 6/6S Plus models had the better cameras followed by the 7. If history repeats not all models will unfortunately!

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The dual camera will most certainly be re-introduced on the Plus model. Apple is not likely going to invest the dual camera on the smaller 4.7 iPhone, mainly they want the larger Plus model to be the sought after device. There have been very few (If any) rumors thus far about what to expect for the camera this Fall, aside from OLED.

I just dont understand why they need to make the plus model the more sought after device by giving it better features like the dual camera. I would venture to guess that a very small percentage of people purchased the plus models for the dual cameras, rather they just prefer a larger phone. For me, the 4.7" iPhone is the perfect size phone and when I went to check out the plus model, there was just no way I could picture myself carrying that around all the time. I understand the plus model having a bigger battery and split screen ability, etc. but just feel the phones should have the same hardware, with the screen size the biggest difference.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I can't predict what Apple might do, but here's something to consider: The dual-lens camera assembly is larger and more costly than the single-lens assembly. Therefore, space must be found, and the added cost must be offset by other cost reductions in order to keep the price in line. If those cost reductions can be found, the question is whether there's another added-cost feature(s) that more customers would find attractive than this particular camera.

The single largest user of space is the battery, and it is the component that is easiest to make smaller. Making the main logic board smaller would likely require a reduction in the component count (one chip capable of substituting for multiple chips, etc.). If the chip-makers do not produce such a product, perhaps Apple could design one of their own. Otherwise, the answer might be a reduced battery capacity, which is not likely to please the masses.

The primary reasons for preferring the smaller iPhone to the larger are lower size/weight, and lower price. If one's reason for wanting this camera in the standard-size iPhone is size/weight, I get it. The Plus is too large for my taste. If one's reason for wanting this camera in the standard-size iPhone is cost... Everyone likes to get more features for less money, but from a manufacturer's standpoint, they'd need to come up with a new incentive for people to spend the extra money on the Plus. Perhaps that incentive would be an even more attractive camera/lens.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The primary reasons for preferring the smaller iPhone to the larger are lower size/weight, and lower price. If one's reason for wanting this camera in the standard-size iPhone is size/weight, I get it. The Plus is too large for my taste. If one's reason for wanting this camera in the standard-size iPhone is cost... Everyone likes to get more features for less money, but from a manufacturer's standpoint, they'd need to come up with a new incentive for people to spend the extra money on the Plus. Perhaps that incentive would be an even more attractive camera/lens.

I dont think it has anything to do with wanting more features for less money. Its not like the 4.7" is a 'budget' phone compared to the plus model, the plus model is just too big for some people. And the incentive for most people to spend the extra money for the Plus is the size of the phone, not the camera.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I dont think it has anything to do with wanting more features for less money. Its not like the 4.7" is a 'budget' phone compared to the plus model, the plus model is just too big for some people. And the incentive for most people to spend the extra money for the Plus is the size of the phone, not the camera.

It's natural to want the best of all possible worlds - everything we want, at a price we can afford/would prefer to pay. Since that's rarely the case, compromise is inevitable.

The price differential may not be meaningful to you, but that doesn't mean it's not meaningful to many others. $120 is hardly inconsequential, to a fair number of people (though that's only $5/month on the installment plan).

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
It's natural to want the best of all possible worlds - everything we want, at a price we can afford/would prefer to pay. Since that's rarely the case, compromise is inevitable.

The price differential may not be meaningful to you, but that doesn't mean it's not meaningful to many others. $120 is hardly inconsequential, to a fair number of people (though that's only $5/month on the installment plan).

What you're saying makes sense. Im not trying to say the price difference in meaningless, I just hate that since I dont want to carry around such a big phone, I cant have the better camera. First world problems lol. Hopefully slimmer bezels can allow Apple to make the larger screen in a smaller form factor going forward.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
The dual cameras on the 7+ was a good reason for some consumers to purchase the higher end iPhone, which already starts at $30 more than last year's 6S Plus (and carries a $130 premium over the regular iPhone 7)... that tied with "premium" colors like Jet Black and new the new Red iPhones, gives a good push for people to buy the plus model, in 128 or 256gb capacities, therefore increasing Apple's ASP.

So its pretty smart for apple to keep this feature on the larger model. Not even taking into concern the actual size of the module taking up more internal space.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-seen-boosting-asp-apples-dec-quarter-results

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.