Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crysis21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2022
Hey everyone,

I've been researching this topic for the past week, but I couldn't find any clear answer.

While the specs on the Apple's website state that the M1 Pro and M1 Max can run at least 2 external monitors at 6k@60hz, I was wondering if anyone tested the M1 Max in a dual monitor setup with 4k@120hz.

I want to buy a pair of LG G950 because I really love the smoothnes provided by the high refresh rate in day to day tasks.

PS: If you've setup your environment in a similar, do you also have a good thunderbolt dock?

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Haven't seen anyone say they're running two, but I have seen reports of running one, and if one will run from one port, two from two ports on a machine designed to run three 6K@60 should be fine. Similar bandwidth to 6K@60.

Last edited:

crysis21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2022
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure before I start spending

PixelVixenUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2022
Hey everyone,

I've been researching this topic for the past week, but I couldn't find any clear answer.

While the specs on the Apple's website state that the M1 Pro and M1 Max can run at least 2 external monitors at 6k@60hz, I was wondering if anyone tested the M1 Max in a dual monitor setup with 4k@120hz.

I want to buy a pair of LG G950 because I really love the smoothnes provided by the high refresh rate in day to day tasks.

PS: If you've setup your environment in a similar, do you also have a good thunderbolt dock?
Hi just wondered what you used to connect these as this might answer my question posted today, thanks

crysis21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2022
ok, so I got the setup. 2 LG GN950 work perfectly at 144hz if both are connected directly through MBP ports. I also got a OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock, which could do 2 x 120hz UHD, but because I cannot setup the refresh rate how I want it, when the monitors are connected, one will go on 144hz mode and the other one to 95hz. Still way better than 60hz and with the ports free on my machine.

After playing for about a week with the monitors, I hate the fact that mac os constantly looses the screen arrangement after a sleep cycle. reconnecting the cable fixes it everytime. I don't know if it's OWC's fault for this.

Jool

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
ok, so I got the setup. 2 LG GN950 work perfectly at 144hz if both are connected directly through MBP ports. I also got a OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock, which could do 2 x 120hz UHD, but because I cannot setup the refresh rate how I want it, when the monitors are connected, one will go on 144hz mode and the other one to 95hz. Still way better than 60hz and with the ports free on my machine.

After playing for about a week with the monitors, I hate the fact that mac os constantly looses the screen arrangement after a sleep cycle. reconnecting the cable fixes it everytime. I don't know if it's OWC's fault for this.
Wondering if you found solutions for the 144/95hz thing? And for the screen arrangement reset when using OWC dock?

I have the OWC thunderbolt 4 dock, and a M1Max 14" MacBook and am thinking of picking up two LG GN950s to complete my desk.

YoungsteR001

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2020
Hey everyone,

hey sorry, but was the set up working? I am currently on M1 Pro Max, I have 27gn950 running at 144hz, I want to know if it can run Dual 4k 144hz ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.