Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hi,
Which countries will the actual dual sim be available in? Tried to check the Apple Hong Kong site but it's in mandarin.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Thank you JPack. If i bought a dual sim iPhone from HK, would it work in any country?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thank you JPack. If i bought a dual sim iPhone from HK, would it work in any country?

Yes.

The HK version is actually the only true global version iPhone as it supports TD-SCDMA and all bands. It’s the preferred version for most buyers. Apple’s local pricing puts it about 10% higher than U.S. pricing.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Dual SIM is also available in India. Should be available in Europe too

The rest of the world including India and Europe get the “fake” dual-SIM version with eSIM + nano-SIM.

Only China and HK have access to the “real” dual-SIM product.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
The rest of the world including India and Europe get the “fake” dual-SIM version with eSIM + nano-SIM.

Only China and HK have access to the “real” dual-SIM product.
No. India has the proper dual SIM implementation. No eSIM

Anandc

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Bombay, India
Yeah. I checked again. You are correct, India has the eSIM

There's nothing wrong with the eSim nor it's fake dual sim. Apple is always looking forward but with the limitations of eSim in China, they had to go backwards.

eSim is the future and India has it with two providers and soon there will be even more.

I'm even guessing that we won't need a SIM card in the future since eSim is already taking over it's place.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
I hope Apple implements the use of eSIM in India. I currently use Airtel, so looking forward to a functional eSIM

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No. India has the proper dual SIM implementation. No eSIM

Check the tech specs page again.

Only China and HK get the dual-SIM version.
[doublepost=1536850401][/doublepost]
I thought the HK version will use e-sim as well.

Only China gets dual sim.

No. Check the tech specs page for HK.
[doublepost=1536850657][/doublepost]
There's nothing wrong with the eSim nor it's fake dual sim. Apple is always looking forward but with the limitations of eSim in China, they had to go backwards.

eSim is the future and India has it with two providers and soon there will be even more.

I'm even guessing that we won't need a SIM card in the future since eSim is already taking over it's place.

Most carriers in the world don’t support eSIM. This is a 2018 iPhone, not 2021. Consumers want dual-SIM support now. Plus, there’s the possibility of carrier locking and control over eSIM.

Reactions: Lyn2012

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Only EE supports eSim in UK currently (Source: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT209096)

https://ee.co.uk/
True but Three are saying that th
Check the tech specs page again.

Only China and HK get the dual-SIM version.
[doublepost=1536850401][/doublepost]

No. Check the tech specs page for HK.
[doublepost=1536850657][/doublepost]

Most carriers in the world don’t support eSIM. This is a 2018 iPhone, not 2021. Consumers want dual-SIM support now. Plus, there’s the possibility of carrier locking and control over eSIM.
Even the carrier supposedly having eSim in Spain (Vodafone according to Apple website) have said to me today that they are testing it but have no plans to adopt it. On the other hand Orange, who Apple don’t even mention, say they’re expecting to use it but no date set as yet. How can people in EU or UK get a proper dual SIm from China or HK? Unfortunately I haven’t enough spare cash for the airfare!

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
just looked on the hong kong english site and only the xmax and xr will have proper dual sims. the xs will still have the esim.

hope that helped. (i'm jetlagged and don't give a **** about my grammar right now. sorry)

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Does it matter which sim is the main one?

My personal provider is EE UK and my work is on O2. Only EE supports eSim.

I want EE to be my main provider but that would be eSim, secondary would be O2 with a nano sim.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Does it matter which sim is the main one?

My personal provider is EE UK and my work is on O2. Only EE supports eSim.

I want EE to be my main provider but that would be eSim, secondary would be O2 with a nano sim.
So I could have O2 as my main sim and EE as the eSim?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Criminals won’t like that, how else can they make calls without getting tracked.

Reactions: Anandc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.