Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
I have an older MBP (Model ID 11,3). It's no slouch even after all these years (2.6 i7, 4 cores, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD) and I love it - best Mac I've ever owned and it's not even close (and I've owned too many to count).

As much as my MBP is "no slouch", it apparently is not going to play nicely with Sidecar. I realize there are Terminal workarounds, but I think I'd prefer just to keep using Duet Display, which works fine running MacOS 10.14.6 and connected to a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro running iPad OS.

So my question is... have any brave souls installed the PB of Catalina on an older MBP (or anything not compatible with Sidecar) - and attempted use of Duet Display? If not, how about Luna? I guess I'd switch to Luna if I had to, but Duet has been just fine for me and Luna is pricier - so my preference is to stick with Duet. Thanks in advance.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I can say I'm running Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A536g) on my 2015 11-inch i7 Air and just installed Duet for MacOS on it and connected it to my 10 inch iPad and am running Duet with no issues. There is no lag with this setup for how I'm using Duet while traveling. I can't say too much for Sidecar as I have not tried using it on my Macs yet...

Rique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
I can say I'm running Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A536g) on my 2015 11-inch i7 Air and just installed Duet for MacOS on it and connected it to my 10 inch iPad and am running Duet with no issues. There is no lag with this setup for how I'm using Duet while traveling. I can't say too much for Sidecar as I have not tried using it on my Macs yet...

I had to reach out to the good people at Duet, who provided me with a beta version of Duet for Mac (no beta version was needed on the iOS end of things). They guided me through an uninstall / reinstall process and Duet is working well (as mentioned, I am using a beta copy). I haven't tested yet with the latest Catalina beta, but if there are issues, I will update this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.