Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hiya folks.

Long-time Mac user here, with a dumb question... bear with me...
What's the best antivirus software that I should purchase for my Mac?

As I said, I am a long-time user, but in all my years I've never once installed antivirus software. Never wanted to, never needed to, never regretted not doing so, never had any issues.

Fast-forward to the present, I have recently found myself working in an all-Windows office, where IT controls every aspect of what can and can't be done on these PCs, and they are severely crippled!
Luckily though, I have managed to convince them to let me use an iMac, and I have full admin rights over it. However, one of the conditions they have imposed on me, if I want to connect my Mac to their network and gain access to their servers, is that I have to install antivirus software. No two ways about it. If I don't do this, then I have to work on a Windows PC, and believe me, I ain't havin' none o' that!

So, having zero knowledge of the world of anti-virus software, I am asking you fine folks here for a recommendation. All I personally need it to do is satisfy IT that it's proper software. That's it. I neither want nor need the software to do any "hand-holding" for me on what I can or should be doing with my Mac.
I seem to vaaaaaguely recall something years ago about how anti-virus software can actually be more harmful to your computer than good, but as I was not in the market for purchasing any, I kinda glossed over it and have forgotten all about it. Dunno if it still holds true, or if it's just scare-mongering, or if it's true of some software but not others, etc...

So in summary, it just needs to be uber-basic, not get in the way, not cripple my Mac, and be safe.
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Have a read through this article which lists quite a few AV options for Macs.
I'm in a similar position - as a consultant I often have to connect to clients' networks and they pretty much all insist on AV software. I decided to take the path of least resistance though and got a windows laptop specifically for those situations

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.