Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlseattle

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what HomePod to buy. I'm moving from Sonos to HomePod and really excited. The concern I currently have is the ease of cleaning the HomePod if I have the white one. If you have the black one you use canned air and some light water and wiping to clean off dust. But with the white one I can see it smearing and turning grey over time with light water. Or would you just spray it out and not worry about dust... I'm now thinking spraying it out with canned air is the only way to clean the white one. Any thoughts?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I got the grey one for this reason. I'll use a duster on it periodically but nothing else. And microfiber on the top.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what HomePod to buy. I'm moving from Sonos to HomePod and really excited. The concern I currently have is the ease of cleaning the HomePod if I have the white one. If you have the black one you use canned air and some light water and wiping to clean off dust. But with the white one I can see it smearing and turning grey over time with light water. Or would you just spray it out and not worry about dust... I'm now thinking spraying it out with canned air is the only way to clean the white one. Any thoughts?

I like the white one personally, but if you take a dry microfiber cloth and wipe it down regularly, it should not be a problem where acrruing dust. But the key is a clean microfiber cloth, as the microfiber cloth can penetrate the smaller intricacies on the HomePod to clean it. The black HomePod will show dust easier I think, however I personally wouldn't use a damp microfiber cloth, unless it was really dusty.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I purchased white and plan to use the little soft brush on the vacuum hose to extract any dust. I think any kind of cloth and/or moisture would allow the dust to permeate the mesh with a resulting long term discoloration. Hopefully, that will be all it needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.