Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I decided to check my sensor for dust today. I pushed the Aperture to f/22, then f/32 on another lens. I used a long exposure on a yellowish wall. I loaded the pictures on my computer, and died a little. The first two pictures (i only took two for the initial test) had dust all over. I grabbed my Giotto Rocker Air Blower, used mirror lock up, held the camera upside down, and used that to blow the dust off. I took another three pictures, same result; dust all over. I repeated this once more, and the dust is still present with a faint circle in the middle (after the 2nd blowing). I feel as though i'm doing everything right, but was wondering if there was any tricks you guys have to help me.

Here are some of the pictures ranging from initial test to final test. [These are resized so you cant even see the full extent of the dust. Take my word for it, there is seen on the original. A lot more :(]

Attachments

• DSC_1221.jpg
    DSC_1221.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_1222.jpg
    DSC_1222.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1225.jpg
    DSC_1225.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_1227.jpg
    DSC_1227.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_1228.jpg
    DSC_1228.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 81

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I read somewhere that using a shopvac on the camera can be effective (take off the lens, lock up the mirror, and vacuum out the dust). Has anyone tried that?

Any theories on what is causing the central white splotch on the OP's images?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I read somewhere that using a shopvac on the camera can be effective (take off the lens, lock up the mirror, and vacuum out the dust). Has anyone tried that?

Yeah. Right. Shop vac. Sounds like a great idea. Don't forget to retrieve the mirror and other pieces from the cannister so you can send them in to Repair with the rest of the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.