Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangzoom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Was lucky enough to be at the British Granprix last weekend :D
Happy snapped away for pretty much the whole weekend, and i've only just had time to download the photos and found two quite large dust spots on several of the photos :( (both on the right hand side of the image, one near the top, one near the bottom)

Dust on my sensor :-(

I was changing lens quite a lot during the weekend, and the series of photos affected was just after a lens change...however the dust spots seem to have now dissappeared...ive taken about 10 pictures of my white wall at home and theres nothing there...since this has never happened to me before, I just wanted to ask what i should now...since the dust spots are now gone do I just carry on as normal, or should i get the sensor cleaned anyways?? Also any advice on to stop it from happening again?? (Apart from not changing Lens) :confused:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Don't panic.

A few dust spots aren't a big deal, and probably won't affect a majority of your shots (they tend to be most noticeable using small apertures, say f/16 and smaller). If you know exactly where they are, they're usually pretty easy to clean up in post processing—the retouch tool in iPhoto would likely take care of them.

Get a good blower to use every once in a while when you notice dust on the sensor.

To figure out exactly where the spots are, zoom in as much as possible, use the smallest aperture, and manually focus as close as possible (nothing particular needs to be in focus when you take this shot), then shoot a white wall (or something similar). Once you know where they are, you can clean them up in any affected photos, and check to see how successful your cleaning is.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Don't panic.

A few dust spots aren't a big deal, and probably won't affect a majority of your shots. If you know exactly where they are, they're usually pretty easy to clean up in post processing—the retouch tool in iPhoto would likely take care of them.

Get a good blower to use every once in a while when you notice dust on the sensor.

This is good advice. If you're worried, when you change lenses just get a blower and blow out the camera a few times before you mount the new lens. Also, some cameras have a feature where they can get rid of the dust spots in the camera so you don't have to do it in post.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
I don't see it.. can you point it out? -.- i dont even know if my photos have dust..

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
A quick way to test.

To test for dust set your aperture to 32 or the highest your lens supports. Then photograph a white wall or blue sky. You don't need to hold your camera steady.

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Those dust spots weren't noticeable later on probably because you used wider aperture ;) to find them try what guys above said: use the smallest aperture on your lens (f/22 or smaller)...

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Be sure to hold your camera upside down when changing lenses, especially outside.

check out kits for cleaning, sensorvac has some good ones. and like they said, just get a little hurricane blower or something to blow it out when you switch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.