Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I just purchased a Nikon D5000 kit yesterday from Best Buy that came with two lenses, an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens..

I took the entire kit on vacation with me this morning and shot about 200 photos while on a nature walk..i switched to and form the 55-200mm lens ONCE..the lens was perfect last night when i checked it after i first opened it; however, when i went to attach it to the camera the second time today - i noticed a fairly large piece of 'something' lodged on the underside of the lens..

what am i to do?? (as I'd like to have the lens to shoot for my vacation this weekend and of course I'd like to have the lens in proper condition as it is fairly expensive!)

thanks!

ImitationBacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
I wouldn't worry about it. Do something for me--take your pinky, put it right in front of the lens and look through the viewfinder. If you did it right, you probably could just see a slightly dark blur. The dust most likely won't even show. If you're really worried about it, take a test shot of something blank (the sky or a white page on your computer) at your minimum aperture (f/22). If you see the piece of dust (or most likely stuff on your sensor) then be my guest and take it back.

I don't know about Best Buy's return policy, I don't buy from there when I can get a better deal online. I'm guessing it has a 30 day return policy on defects. I would call them and ask if they can just swap out your lens.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks imitationbacon as those all sound like reasonable ideas to test it out; however, even if the lens functions properly with 'it' there - it would bother me to no end. My OCD emerges when dealing with pricey electronics - a severe character flaw, I know..

And gav2k, I think I'll certainly try to swap it out - I just hope they don't give me a hard time. There is a best buy a minute from the hotel where I'm staying - if I don't have the retail packaging (I do have the receipt, lens, lens hood, user manual and bag it came with), do you think they'll do anything? (I'm only missing the cardboard box it came in)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Bestbuy only require a box if your after a refund your not you just want the lens out of the kit. Chances are they will open one take the lens and swap it and let you on your merry way.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks imitationbacon as those all sound like reasonable ideas to test it out; however, even if the lens functions properly with 'it' there - it would bother me to no end. My OCD emerges when dealing with pricey electronics - a severe character flaw, I know..

Your OCD is going to be a big problem every time you take the lens outside. You can swap it back out for a "fresh" one now but it's only going to happen again.

The zooming action of this lens (barrel extension) is sucking and blowing air in and out of the interior of the lens. Sometimes dust will come with it. It's not changing the lenses that really causes dust to get on the inside the barrel, rather just the zooming action. Unless it starts to get really dirty underneath the lens, it is not going to make a measurable difference in image quality. This happens to all zooms, although the higher end ones combat this by being designed to have no barrel extension, and improved environmental sealing. Still, I rented a 70-200 f2.8 recently (read: pro grade sealed lens with no barrel extension) and when I got it the inside was pristine. After using it outside for about a week there was a speck of dust on the inside of the front lens element.

Bottom line is to get over the OCD aspect and to not worry about it. It's going to happen and there is literally no way for you to stop it :)

Ruahrc

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
It really depends if the OP is just talking about normal dust, which gets into all zooms, or a big chunk of something left over from manufacturing. Without a photograph or accurate description it's hard to tell which this is.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Yea, on the cheaper zooms, like the 18-200mm Nikkor I had, the vacuum action pulled quite a bit of small dust into the lens, easily seen behind the front glass element. However, with my "pro" zoom lenses, I have never noticed any dust on the inside of the lens element, I guess they indeed are much better sealed.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Shoot a frame-filling picture of something uniformly white (a light bulb or a bathroom tile) at a small aperture (like f/22). Does the dust show up in the photo? If not, you really don't have a problem. If so, go to a larger and more useful aperture like f/8 and see if it's still there.

Also, the 55-200 is not considered to be "fairly expensive" for a lens. In fact, it's among Nikon's most affordable lenses.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Shoot a frame-filling picture of something uniformly white (a light bulb or a bathroom tile) at a small aperture (like f/22). Does the dust show up in the photo? If not, you really don't have a problem. If so, go to a larger and more useful aperture like f/8 and see if it's still there.

Also, the 55-200 is not considered to be "fairly expensive" for a lens. In fact, it's among Nikon's most affordable lenses.

In my experience things like dust reduce contrast most when the light is flaring off them, like shots with the sun just out of frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.