Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dend88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
Sacramento, CA
I have a Mid 2011 21.5" Mac with optical dvd running High Sierra, 10.13.6.

After installing high sierra the dvd drive no longer mounts a dvd when inserted. It just spins and then eventually ejects the DVD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Buy a can of compressed air and blow gently into the drive. Likely a dirty LED reader. Probably coincidental with the installation of High Sierra and not the fault of the installation.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Probably coincidental with the installation of High Sierra and not the fault of the installation.

Agree.

After installing high sierra the dvd drive no longer mounts a dvd when inserted. It just spins and then eventually ejects the DVD.

You've tried multiple DVDs? The DVDs are clean, no smudges or scratches on the bright side?

dend88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Turns out it's the DVD and not the optical drive. I've now tried several other DVD and they mount and are readable. It' just the movie DVD which was sent by Netflix that is not mounting. Just put the Netflix DVD in my DVD player on my TV and it's plays fine so nothing is defective in the DVD. Very odd that my Mac's optical drive can't read it then.

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
I have a Mid 2011 21.5" Mac with optical dvd running High Sierra, 10.13.6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tested. Works fine so far. DVD player automatically launches when DVD is inserted and plays DVD automatically in fullscreen mode.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 16.01.40.png

Check your System > Preferences ...

The only thing I don't like is having two DVD controls in user interface design.

- DVD controller ( Aqua Design )
- DVD controller fullscreen ( Non-Aqua Design )

Exit fullscreen displays two different DVD controllers then on the screen.

Time for a 10.13.7 Update.

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / Music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.