Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I'm looking into getting a kvm switch so my wife can use her work PC and our home macbook pro with our apple display (23" cinema DVI). I'm considering this iogear which has DVI, but her PC laptop has a VGA connector. I think to get this to work, I'll need a DVI-D Female to VGA Male adapter, but they seem to be quite uncommon (based on my searches).

First of all, is this right way to get this to work, and if so, will something like this do the trick?

I'm just a little bit concerned cause this was the ONLY one that I could find. Most of the ones are either DVI-I F to VGA M or DVI-D M to VGA F.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
A DVI-D only sends a digital signal. VGA is analog only. A simple adapter will not work, you need one that can convert the signal, or look for another option all together.
[doublepost=1464808373][/doublepost]I am skeptical of the adapter you posted
"DVI-D Female Analog"

DVI-I carries both digital and analog, not DVI-D.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
First of all, is this right way to get this to work, and if so, will something like this do the trick?

That will not work as it's an analog adapter only. As stated in the previous reply, DVI is digital while VGA is analog only. Buy your wife a new MacBook or MacBook Pro; problem solved. :apple::rolleyes:

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
I'm looking into getting a kvm switch so my wife can use her work PC and our home macbook pro with our apple display (23" cinema DVI). I'm considering this iogear which has DVI, but her PC laptop has a VGA connector. I think to get this to work, I'll need a DVI-D Female to VGA Male adapter, but they seem to be quite uncommon (based on my searches).

I'm just a little bit concerned cause this was the ONLY one that I could find. Most of the ones are either DVI-I F to VGA M or DVI-D M to VGA F.

I recently tried to go VGA to HDMI and ran into the same problem. There is no simple cable adapter, since you are converting an analog output to a digital input. Cable adapters will go the other way (digital out > analog in) without a problem. They sell those. Analog to digital will require a powered unit for the conversion and latency to the screen might be involved. Probably very expensive and unwieldy. I was not able to find an easy solution.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
thanks guys.

so if I understand correctly, if I want to go from a digital output (ex. computer) to an analog input (ex. VGA monitor), then a simple adapter will do. But if I want to go from an analog output (ex. computer) to a digital input (ex. DVI monitor), then I need some converter.

@chscag, problem is with her work computer, our home mbp is fine - it has mini display port and has been hooked up to the monitor up til now. She wants to hook her work pc up to the monitor as well.

Just remembered that her work PC also has a display port connector (not the one I'm used to, this one is full sized). Maybe a displayport to DVI adapter would do the trick since it's all digital?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
thanks guys.

so if I understand correctly, if I want to go from a digital output (ex. computer) to an analog input (ex. VGA monitor), then a simple adapter will do. But if I want to go from an analog output (ex. computer) to a digital input (ex. DVI monitor), then I need some converter.

No, you can never go digital to analog OR analog to digital with a simple adapter. They are two different types of signals.
[doublepost=1464880859][/doublepost]
Just remembered that her work PC also has a display port connector (not the one I'm used to, this one is full sized). Maybe a displayport to DVI adapter would do the trick since it's all digital?

Yes those are both digital outputs, a simple adapter would work that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.