Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I have a 65” 2016 LG OLED HDR10 and Dolby Vision supported TV. My new ATV is set to 4:2:2 and I gave Close Encounters a play. It’s listed as Dolby Vision.

When the Apple Tv plays it, my TV only triggers HDR mode, NOT Dolby Vision mode. (uses an entire other processing chip) Which it absolutely does when fed a proper DV signal. (verified using VUDU and Netflix shows using TVs built in apps) This tells me that while the file on Apple’s servers maybe encoded DV, the ATV isn’t playing it. Or its converting the DV to HDR10 as the ATV can’t really output DV?

Can anyone else confirm?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I have a 65” 2016 LG OLED HDR10 and Dolby Vision supported TV. My new ATV is set to 4:2:2 and I gave Close Encounters a play. It’s listed as Dolby Vision.

When the Apple Tv plays it, my TV only triggers HDR mode, NOT Dolby Vision mode. (uses an entire other processing chip) Which it absolutely does when fed a proper DV signal. (verified using VUDU and Netflix shows using TVs built in apps) This tells me that while the file on Apple’s servers maybe encoded DV, the ATV isn’t playing it. Or its converting the DV to HDR10 as the ATV can’t really output DV?

Can anyone else confirm?
Did you set the Apple tv to either 30hz or 24hz DV? i have no issues with the movies I own on iTunes that are DV on my LG E6 OLED.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Perhaps Apple mis labelled that movie as DV.

I’ve tried Wonder Woman and Close Encounters so far.

Am I right that in the Apple settings it will only say HDR and not DV? Just so that I have that part understood.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I’ve tried Wonder Woman and Close Encounters so far.

Am I right that in the Apple settings it will only say HDR and not DV? Just so that I have that part understood.
If you’re talking about the video output settings then no. It should specifically say Dolby Vision. Look at the screenshot from the verge review for an example.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
If you’re talking about the video output settings then no. It should specifically say Dolby Vision. Look at the screenshot from the verge review for an example.

Uh oh. Then something is busted. I’m using HQ 2.2 HDMI cables. However I’ve never used anything other than the TVs built in players for DV. This makes me wonder if my Onkyo isn’t passing DV? It has 2.2 rated ports.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Uh oh. Then something is busted. I’m using HQ 2.2 HDMI cables. However I’ve never used anything other than the TVs built in players for DV. This makes me wonder if my Onkyo isn’t passing DV? It has 2.2 rated ports.
Very few AV Receivers currently can passthrough dolby vision. My Denon X4300H only received a firmware update earlier this week to enable that, which I was then able to verify from my Oppo 203 to be working.

Reactions: Tarheels23

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Likely your receiver. 2.2 ports means nothing. What model onkyo do you have and what year is it? If it's prior to 2016 you're likely screwed. Denon/marantz is updating 2015+, pioneer won't even update 2016 models.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Very few AV Receivers currently can passthrough dolby vision. My Denon X4300H only received a firmware update earlier this week to enable that, which I was then able to verify from my Oppo 203 to be working.

I have a Denon X2300W and it also just got the firmware update allowing it. I am getting DV at 60Hz on my TV - things look great!

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Yup, now confirmed. Direct connection to TV and I’m getting DV as an option in ATV. (although only 50hz as max refresh rate, lame) Time for a new stereo!

TX-NR575 is the most affordable Onkyo out. I’ve always loved their units (currently have a 3yr old one) so I’ll grab one of these tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: Tarheels23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.