Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAceOfAces

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
(Posted something similar in the iPhone forum but posting this here as well since I think it's the more appropriate place.)

Few days ago, I bought the 11 Pro and put on Apple's official leather case (black), and when I took the phone out of the case to insert the SIM, I noticed that the black dye from the sides and top of the cases's interior had 'leaked' onto the phone, causing some smudges/stains on the stainless steel band around the phone. It's not like they didn't come off but it took some effort to clean them because of the smudging.

I initially chalked this up to the phone being hot (due to syncing/updating/etc), causing the dye to 'melt' a little, or to just having a bad case. However, later, when I took the leather case off my Xs from last year, I noticed it too had the same stains, albeit not as severe.

Has anyone else noticed this issue while using their Apple Leather Cases on the X/Xs/11 Pro series? I'm thinking of just using a Silicone case now since the sides and top of the interior for that case are microfiber and not leather, so it shouldn't have that kind of issue. I do wish the sides and top of the leather case interior were microfiber instead of leather too though, since I actually enjoy using the leather case and its exterior feels nice.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’ve used them on my X, XS and now Pro and I’ve never seen anything transfer to the phone. If it comes off what’s the issue?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
(Posted something similar in the iPhone forum but posting this here as well since I think it's the more appropriate place.)

Few days ago, I bought the 11 Pro and put on Apple's official leather case (black), and when I took the phone out of the case to insert the SIM, I noticed that the black dye from the sides and top of the cases's interior had 'leaked' onto the phone, causing some smudges/stains on the stainless steel band around the phone. It's not like they didn't come off but it took some effort to clean them because of the smudging.

I initially chalked this up to the phone being hot (due to syncing/updating/etc), causing the dye to 'melt' a little, or to just having a bad case. However, later, when I took the leather case off my Xs from last year, I noticed it too had the same stains, albeit not as severe.

Has anyone else noticed this issue while using their Apple Leather Cases on the X/Xs/11 Pro series? I'm thinking of just using a Silicone case now since the sides and top of the interior for that case are microfiber and not leather, so it shouldn't have that kind of issue. I do wish the sides and top of the leather case interior were microfiber instead of leather too though, since I actually enjoy using the leather case and its exterior feels nice.
Do you have any pics? Might help us get a visual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.