Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aiwi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to create a post showing how I fit a LG UltraGear 27GP850-B (1440p 180Hz) monitor inside an 27" Apple LED Cinema Display while preserving most of the original Apple aesthetics.

Unlike the original Apple LED Cinema Display, this version has a full size DisplayPort and HDMI input. The MagSafe 1 connector is also removed.

You can see more steps and images on my Github project page.

From the front, the monitor looks like a regular Apple Cinema Display.

IMG_3513 (Large).jpg

The rear of the monitor is very similar to the original Apple Cinema Display.

IMG_5464 (Large).jpg

While the DisplayPort, HDMI and DC Power are connected in the original power socket, the navigation joystick is accessible using the hole below.

IMG_5465 (Large).jpg

DisplayPort, HDMI and DC Power connected in the original power socket.

IMG_5484 (Large).jpg

The driver board for the LG monitor is placed inside the cleaned out Apple Cinema Display case. Slim HDMI and DisplayPort cables are extending the original inputs of the monitor to the location of the original AC power socket. The DC power socket is also placed in this location.

The navigation joystick is placed in the original location of the all-in-one cable.

IMG_5460 (Large).jpg

The modern LG display has its bezels increased from a mere 5mm to a whopping 24mm. Strangely I prefer the massive Apple bezels over the blocky black design of the LG.

IMG_5461 (Large).jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.