Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Dynamic Island shows incorrect battery charge percentage upon restart of iPhone- it shows charge value as 10% even if the actual value is 1%.

Whenever the iPhone is restarted, after few moments the Dynamic Island automatically shows the value of battery charge percentage. This charger percentage always shows incorrect value of 10% even if the actual charge status is far less than 10%. For example if the actual charge value is 1% even then the Dynamic Island shows charge value of 10% after restart of iPhone.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Dynamic Island shows incorrect battery charge percentage upon restart of iPhone- it shows charge value as 10% even if the actual value is 1%.

Whenever the iPhone is restarted, after few moments the Dynamic Island automatically shows the value of battery charge percentage. This charger percentage always shows incorrect value of 10% even if the actual charge status is far less than 10%. For example if the actual charge value is 1% even then the Dynamic Island shows charge value of 10% after restart of iPhone.
What you’re talking about is the “low battery warning”. Normally this only shows up as your battery percentage drops from 11% to 10% or below. The same thing happens when it drops to 20%. It’s intentional that this doesn’t show the actual percentage, as it usually only triggers when the percentage is actually at 10 or 20. The warning is just getting triggered internally for some reason when you restart your phone.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What method are you using to determine the actual charge?
The actual charge is taken from what is shown on the battery icon on status bar at the top right of screen.
The Dynamic Island charge is what is shown just after restart in the Dynamic Island expansion.
Both screen shots attached.

IMG_0474.PNG

IMG_0475.PNG

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
The Dynamic Island charge is what is shown just after restart in the Dynamic Island expansion
It probably takes several seconds for all the modules to do what needs to be done and refresh the displayed values. If the number agree after a minute, then there is no issue.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Based on your screenshots, I still think this is it:
What you’re talking about is the “low battery warning”. Normally this only shows up as your battery percentage drops from 11% to 10% or below. The same thing happens when it drops to 20%. It’s intentional that this doesn’t show the actual percentage, as it usually only triggers when the percentage is actually at 10 or 20. The warning is just getting triggered internally for some reason when you restart your phone.
I have certainly seen this seemingly delayed alert notification on my iPhone X. Sometimes, it was because the alert wasn’t triggered — maybe a glitch, maybe something else — before the shutdown. So, then, the OS seems to think, “we missed this, better tell the user” and shows it upon restart. Another instance is if the threshold (i.e., 10% charge) happens while the device is off. For example, you shut down your iPhone with 12% battery charge and when you turn it back on, the charge is at 2%, the 10% warning will appear because, technically, at some point the battery charge did drop to 10%, triggering the alert. The second scenario isn’t consistent, in my observation but has happened.

In other words, put simply, the 10% (and 20% on some devices) is hardcoded into the alert.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Based on your screenshots, I still think this is it:

I have certainly seen this seemingly delayed alert notification on my iPhone X. Sometimes, it was because the alert wasn’t triggered — maybe a glitch, maybe something else — before the shutdown. So, then, the OS seems to think, “we missed this, better tell the user” and shows it upon restart. Another instance is if the threshold (i.e., 10% charge) happens while the device is off. For example, you shut down your iPhone with 12% battery charge and when you turn it back on, the charge is at 2%, the 10% warning will appear because, technically, at some point the battery charge did drop to 10%, triggering the alert. The second scenario isn’t consistent, in my observation but has happened.

In other words, put simply, the 10% (and 20% on some devices) is hardcoded into the alert.
Assuming this to be true- that the 10% (or 20%) figures are hard coded into the alert, the scheme is not the ideal or desired behaviour. Maybe for future, Apple can make it dynamic to reflect the true charge figures instead of relying on the status hard coded values shown in alerts.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Assuming this to be true- that the 10% (or 20%) figures are hard coded into the alert, the scheme is not the ideal or desired behaviour. Maybe for future, Apple can make it dynamic to reflect the true charge figures instead of relying on the status hard coded values shown in alerts.
Indeed, although, as @Mr. Awesome stated, the intention is for these alerts to be activated immediately when battery charge reaches the chosen level of warning (i.e., 10%/20%).

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Indeed, although, as @Mr. Awesome stated, the intention is for these alerts to be activated immediately when battery charge reaches the chosen level of warning (i.e., 10%/20%).
Agreed. Again, usually this isn’t an issue, it’s just a consequence of the phone checking the battery level when it starts up and then realizing “oh it passed 20, let’s show the 20% battery warning”. It would theoretically be trivial to make it show the actual percentage. It may be slightly confusing to get a low battery warning at a seemingly random percentage, but that is probably the ideal behavior here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.