Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Noticing the Sequoia wallpaper isn't changing dynamically during the day and night. Anyone else notice? So when it's night time, it still appears as a day time wallpaper. Wallpaper set to Automatic in settings.

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
There seems to be a long-standing issue/bug with dynamic wallpapers which has existed at least since macOS 14, where dynamic wallpapers jump between states rather than a gradual shift throughout the day. MR post about it here, and a Reddit post with a video showing the issue here. Have you observed any changes at all?

Do you use a VPN, AdBlocker or DNS service (such as ControlD or NextDNS?) I'm wondering if any of those could be a potential contributor to the issue? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔 I should probably just test that theory myself by disabling the services I use and observing the outcome myself.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
I am getting the same thing too. I looked at the Apple FAQ and it said there should be a "Dynamic" setting in the pull down box but I am just seeing "Light", Dark" and "Automatic". Putting it to '"Automatic" doesn't change the wallpaper either. It just stays dark but I am in dark mode. When I choose "Light" it stays light.

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Yep perhaps it is just a bug. Previous versions of macOS, the dynamic wallpaper worked as intended so as I worked during day into night, the wallpaper would gradually transition from light to dark accordingly. It is not happening with Sequoia. I do not use any kind of VPN or DNS service etc.

As I type this, it is 11:30am yet the wallpaper is still stuck with the night time look even though wallpaper is set to Automatic in wallpaper settings.

anthonyzp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
For what it's worth, managed to resolve the issue for now by turning off an Energy Saver setting. Basically when my display sleeps, I enable, prevent computer from sleep when display is asleep. This fixes the issue. It appears when the computer sleeps, the dynamic wallpaper gets stuck.

ganglem

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Hey I‘m the reddit poster mentioned up there! I‘ve had this bug since Sonoma, after upgrading from Ventura where it worked as intended.

Tested the same thing with Sequoia but the bug is still present.

I this with two different MacBook Airs btw. Changing energy settings does not fix anything for me. Also, my options are Light, Dark and Dynamic.

Really unfortunae because the Catalina wallpaper is my favorite but I can‘t enjoy it if I‘m being jumpscared when it changes.

I filed another bug report, maybe you can do too to escale this. Can‘t believe wallpapers are not working. Let me know if there‘s any updates on your behalf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.