Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
Ok so when I turn on the laptop, the screen is black and there is no chime but I can hear the DVD drive and the Hard Drive spin up. I’ve heard of dead GPU problems in these laptops but Im not sure on how to fix it. Ive already tried an SMC reset and a PRAM reset but nothing happened. I also saw a video where they wrap the computer in a blanket, turned it on, then came back in an hour, let it cool down, then the computer started working so that might be something I can try because im not too sure on how to reflow properly.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Ok so when I turn on the laptop, the screen is black and there is no chime but I can hear the DVD drive and the Hard Drive spin up. I’ve heard of dead GPU problems in these laptops but Im not sure on how to fix it. Ive already tried an SMC reset and a PRAM reset but nothing happened. I also saw a video where they wrap the computer in a blanket, turned it on, then came back in an hour, let it cool down, then the computer started working so that might be something I can try because im not too sure on how to reflow properly.

Been there, done that. The blanket trick can get it back for hard drive recovery but your GPU is shot and the logic board is down as a result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.