Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turfle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Hope creating a new thread is ok, I couldn’t find an old thread answering the question.

Just wanna know what monitor options I have for an old 2008 Mac Pro and what the best option would be?

Thanks guys.

incumbent

macrumors member
May 8, 2021
CID && PHL
I have an Apple Cinema Display 30" and use it with dual-link DVI and a couple of Hacs and a macpro3,1 for years. One of the lamps or bulbs was dimming and I moved it out of the way and put an LG Ultrawide on my desk instead.

FWIW I ran the ACD 30" in HiDPI mode on every Mac I ever attached it to using SwitchResX.

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
I bought the GTX 680, It does 4K, or some does ( It was a flashed or mac version all ports working ).
Only you need another screen because 4K is black until you login.
It was a 43" IPS, so much workspace ... never tested ultrawides.
I had a vertical 24" next to it, the hight is the same as the 4K.

A 27" or 2 or 2560x1600 would also work.

But never looked back once I went 6,1.
I was surprised by the trashcan.
NVME or AHCI somewhere thunderbolt, 3m away.
Same 4 my 4 disk enclosure with 4TB spinners.
And I have a lot of docking stations to swap Sata SSD's like floppy disks.

2560x1600 is a lot of the time way more expensive,
than 4k or 1440p.

I still love my 23" original cinema display.
It's has 1200pix, a lot more comfortable than you would suggest.
But mostly a lot more pricey, same as the 30".
For the same money I think you can get a gtx 680 and 4K or widescreen.
(would not crave a 4k that's somewhere in the 20", don't know if scaling would work well )

Kind Regards.

incumbent

macrumors member
May 8, 2021
CID && PHL
I also ran my 3,1 with a GTX 680 and it was reliable. Way more reliable than my 6,1; hell since I didn't move to BigSur I think that 3,1 was probably at about a 6mo uptime from when I added disks to the zpool, the only reason I pulled the 3,1 was that it idled at 40% and couldn't run Docker because that generation of Xeon is missing some of the memory and virtualization flags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.