Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Hi guys,

I got a Macbook Pro in where the Keyboard and Trackpad would not work intermittently (most of the time, actually). External keyboard and mouse work fine.

I swapped out the trackpad cable for a new one.

- The computer now wouldn't turn on using the power button (BUT THE POWER BUTTON DOES WORK...)
- I am able to get the computer to turn on by disconnecting the battery and keyboard, then reconnecting the battery and plugging in the charger but leaving the keyboard unplug (turns on by itself), but I CANNOT turn on with power button, even though I know it works. Sometimes, I can get the macbook to turn on with the keyboard cable plugged in but the power button doesn't work, I have to randomly plug in charger, unplug battery, etc until it comes on by itself.
- I know the power button works because I can hold it down after the computer is on and I get the prompt asking me if I want to restart or shutdown.

Is that weird, or what? Any idea what the problem may be? The part numbers on the cable were different but looked to be compatible since i see listings listing both part numbers as ok for the same cable (new one is 821-00184-A)

Last edited:

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Yes I did, thanks for reminding me to update this.

The first keyboard cable they sent was bad. I replaced it one more time for the heck of it, and the next one worked.
Cool. While having this issue, did the keyboard ever not work but the trackpad was functional?

bascotie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Cool. While having this issue, did the keyboard ever not work but the trackpad was functional?

As I recall, with the replacement cable, the keyboard may have worked once or twice randomly, but it was mostly just the touchpad. With the original cable, it was on and off. Sometimes both would work, sometimes one or neither would work

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.