Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2024
Hello,
Please help me. I purchased an early 2020 Macbook Air (Intel). It originally had an issue where the laptop would boot into a state where it would ask to be upgraded. I tried everything and I could not get it to boot. So I deleted the files and tried installing it from the internet. That also did not work. I took it to the genius bar, and they also could not figure it out. They told me that the motherboard was not turning on. I brought it back and connected it with another borrowed 2019 Macbook air, fully upgraded. I connected a usb-c, then a thunderbolt cable. The 2020 one started up and about half way through re-installation the borrowed Macbook air said it couldn't finish upgrading. Then I followed the instructions and put my Macbook air into DFU mode, tried again and it started installing - about 80 percent of the way, I got a code that it could not finish installation. I think the firmware might have been corrupted and I am not sure how to proceed.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone gone through this already? I checked eBay and working intel motherboards are about 250/350 and that's just insane. Anything that would help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.