Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Hello!
I just upgraded to a 13 pro max with the latest ios15 from a 12pro max with ios14.8.
When trying to change my ringtone, playing the Harp ringtone I noticed a crackling sound coming from the earpiece at high volume (over 60%).
After testing, some high pitched sound make the earpiece sound distorted and crackle.
Do your phones have the same issue? Please test with Harp ringtone, is the most obvious. My old 12 pro max didn’t seem to have this issue, or at least it wasn’t that obvious.
Should I send it in service? I worry that they will say that there is no problem and send in back scratched or something.

Thank you!

GeraldHaniel

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2022
Mumbai, India
I have got the iphone 13 pro max recently and I can confirm that the issue does exist and it is pretty much evident while playing the Opening Ringtone from apple. I guess this issue is due to the relocated earpiece position in the latest 13 series. I have tried listening to the ringtone on other 13 series models and the crackling problem exists in all of the models in varying degrees with the pro max being the worst. I am shocked apple couldn’t figure this out during the internal RnD testings. Either their team is too sloppy to figure this out or were too lazy to fix this…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.