Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I have a couple files with incorrect EXIF date data. These are photos I took in 2007 but the EXIF reads 1969. I can't seem edit the EXIF date with Aperture.

Can anyone recommend a tool to edit this information?

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
I have tried Photo Info for this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12156/
and Reveal:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29632

Photo Info works great if it recognizes the picture. Unfortunately, if the pic was saved from File->Export in iPhoto, PhotoInfo often does not recognize the EXIF data, see attached screenshot. Only about a quarter of my images can be changed with PhotoInfo, although ALL of those images have EXIF data that can be seen in other apps. I can change them with Reveal, but Reveal doesn't have a batch mode. I emailed the PhotoInfo author and he said he may fix it at some point.

In the meantime, does anybody know any other app that allows batch editing of EXIF data?

Attachments

• PhotoInfo.jpg
    PhotoInfo.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 261

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Aperture 2.0 lets you change EXIF date and time, albeit one at a time as far as I can tell.

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Interesting. Can you confirm Aperture actually changes the EXIF? iPhoto has a similar function built in as in the video linked by Oilbrnr above (Photos -> Adjust Date and Time) but it saves this info elsewhere apparently. When you export the image and look at it with another app, the actual EXIF is still the original one.

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Interesting. Can you confirm Aperture actually changes the EXIF? iPhoto has a similar function built in as in the video linked by Oilbrnr above (Photos -> Adjust Date and Time) but it saves this info elsewhere apparently. When you export the image and look at it with another app, the actual EXIF is still the original one.

Bump.

Aperture is not exactly cheap. So I'd like to confirm that it edits the actual EXIF, not some different kind of date tags like iPhoto.

Alternatively, is there another app that does this more in a typical shareware price range?

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Aperture is not exactly cheap. So I'd like to confirm that it edits the actual EXIF, not some different kind of date tags like iPhoto.

Yes, it works. After reading svenr's post I tried it and can confirm it does edit the EXIF.

The command line utility

Eww. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.