Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I got over losing about a third of my Norway trip files thanks to iPadOS file copy corruption issue. I will never trust it to copy files from microSD to SSD again. But I want to keep editing videos in LumaFusion. It’s fun, and I take my iPP everywhere. There’s the issue: when editing 4k30fps HDR files on external USB 3.2 Gen 2 SSDs (new option in LumaFusion settings, you can theoretically edit 100GB projects on SSD with no internal storage), the drives keeps losing connection, constantly. Inaccessible both in Files and Luma, only reconnecting helps.

I’m not sure if the two SSDs (1TB SanDisk Extreme v2, 1TB Samsung T7) don’t communicate well with iPad or if iPadOS just isn’t built for any multimedia job (even simple uncorrupted file-copy real computers enjoy for decades), but I’m almost ready to give up on editing in Luma.

Are you having the same issues? Would a powered hub help? Would switching to real Thunderbolt drive fix the problem? Thanks.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
LumaFusion support is really helpful and responsive.
I’d suggest you send them a message.

As for my recommendation for your problem, I would do what I do, which is keeping enough space on the IPP to edit at leat one project locally.
Copy all the assets to the IPP, edit the project then delete the assets from the IPP (the original are still on your SDD) and save a copy of the LF project to the SDD as well as the rendered project.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I’d love to edit locally but I’m constantly fighting storage. And no, those apps together don’t really take as much storage as iPad’s system info shows. Looks like I’ll need to set this iPad as new soon.

Attachments

• 1650579487768.png
    1650579487768.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 160

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I agree. Something looks off.
I can’t imagine you having 200GB of Apps usage and not knowing where it is used.
I figured it out, no need to reset. Apps take 100GB and 109GB are videos (the "On My iPad" folder) I exported a long time ago but forgot to delete locally. Rest is system. Still, the inability to edit on SSD is extremely inconvenient. The Scandinavia trip alone takes more than 200GB, I had to edit on Mac.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I figured it out, no need to reset. Apps take 100GB and 109GB are videos (the "On My iPad" folder) I exported a long time ago but forgot to delete locally. Rest is system. Still, the inability to edit on SSD is extremely inconvenient. The Scandinavia trip alone takes more than 200GB, I had to edit on Mac.

The last, and only, time I reported an issue to LumaFusion, they took it very seriously and the final outcome was an update to correct the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.