Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hello all.

If i'm storing all of my photos in lightroom in RAW format - and i've made changes to the photos develop settings...can I edit that RAW image in photoshop and keep all the changes I've made in lightroom? I don't know if i'm asking this right so i'll give an example. Say I've edited an image in lightroom to make it look the way I want but then I discover my subject has a blemish on her face...I want to remove that blemish in photoshop (I know there is a tool for this in lightroom but say I want to do it in PS) How do I do this? Basically I want to edit the same file between programs I guess...Help!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hello all.

If i'm storing all of my photos in lightroom in RAW format - and i've made changes to the photos develop settings...can I edit that RAW image in photoshop and keep all the changes I've made in lightroom? I don't know if i'm asking this right so i'll give an example. Say I've edited an image in lightroom to make it look the way I want but then I discover my subject has a blemish on her face...I want to remove that blemish in photoshop (I know there is a tool for this in lightroom but say I want to do it in PS) How do I do this? Basically I want to edit the same file between programs I guess...Help!

Yep; make edits in LR as desired, select the photo you want, press command-E (or Photo>Edit In>Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3, and select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". Use TIFF or PSD, AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB, 16-bit, resolution of 300, no compression.

This will open the photo in PS CS3; you can then do layer effects, etc. When you save the photo, it will save into LR next to the original with the suffix "-EDIT.TIF" or "-EDIT.PSD" on the end.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Yep; make edits in LR as desired, select the photo you want, press command-E (or Photo>Edit In>Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3, and select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". Use TIFF or PSD, AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB, 16-bit, resolution of 300, no compression.

This will open the photo in PS CS3; you can then do layer effects, etc. When you save the photo, it will save into LR next to the original with the suffix "-EDIT.TIF" or "-EDIT.PSD" on the end.

You can also do the other way around and work on the image without the adjustments made in lightroom.

Open the image in photoshop. Do your work and export it.
Import the image into lightroom and copy the settings onto the new image from the old one.

You can also change the original image and sync the library after you finished. Lightroom will attach your settings to the image.

Experiment, which way works best (make sure, to take a backup of the images involved and the library, before experimenting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.