Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
So when I open .NEF (Nikon) Raw files, it opens a preliminary windown to do exposure, temperature etc. So when I click 'Open Image' to do extensive editing, will it still open in RAW or will it be converted to Jpeg?

Thanks

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
That window you are seeing is Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR. It translates (demosaic is the term for the process) the image into a format internal to Photoshop that I would guess has a lot in common with a PSD file. When you save the image, PS can't save it as a NEF file and you are prompted to specify a file type.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
That window you are seeing is Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR. It translates (demosaic is the term for the process) the image into a format internal to Photoshop that I would guess has a lot in common with a PSD file. When you save the image, PS can't save it as a NEF file and you are prompted to specify a file type.

But if I click open image, will it still be in RAW (not NEF) file?

thanks for the reply

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
But if I click open image, will it still be in RAW (not NEF) file?

thanks for the reply

The source for your image will be the raw file, yes. A raw file is basically just a sensor dump that can't be displayed or edited by an imaging program until it has been demosaiced by a program like ACR.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
The source for your image will be the raw file, yes. A raw file is basically just a sensor dump that can't be displayed or edited by an imaging program until it has been demosaiced by a program like ACR.

Oh I see, so basically, ACR is converting the info to be useable in PS, and still be able to go thru extensive editing without losing quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.