Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biopig

Suspended
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hi,
I decide to buy a MacBook Pro 13 for my new semester. Currently there's an education offer on Apple.com in which they offer $100 off a MBP 13 plus a free Beats Solo wireless headphones which worth $300. So I placed an order, finding that the structure of total price is like, they give a $300 discount for the MBP after adding the Beats headphones, plus a regular price of headphones. So I'm wondering, can I return the Beats after picking up my MBP to get the full refund of headphones so that I generally get an additional $300 off my new MBP?

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
No.
In order to return the bests the transaction requires the computer to be returned also.
Think of it this way, you purchased the beats in which you were given an instant rebate for. Returning the beats forfeits the rebate.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I'm wondering, can I return the Beats after picking up my MBP to get the full refund of headphones so that I generally get an additional $300 off my new MBP?
No, you can't game the system to get even more money from them. Other then being unethical, and dishonest, companies aware away of people to do that,

biopig

Suspended
Original poster
May 15, 2014
No.
In order to return the bests the transaction requires the computer to be returned also.
Think of it this way, you purchased the beats in which you were given an instant rebate for. Returning the beats forfeits the rebate.
Thanks! just curious because they discount the MacBook Pro instead of the headphones.

No, you can't game the system to get even more money from them. Other then being unethical, and dishonest, companies aware away of people to do that,
You mean I GET money from them? can you please elaborate how? and returning a gift is unethical and dishonest? It was like I was NOT paying for the MacBook Pro or getting it at a bug price? the total price I'm paying is like $2700 which is almost the same as my 5 year old 15" rMBP. Do you think I'm taking advantage of apple or something?
There are some third parties that are offering bigger discount on education institutions than how much apple is offering. The reason I order from apple is that only apple can customize the configuration.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
returning a gift is unethical and dishonest?
You're returning the headphones in an attempt to get 300 dollars. You got a 300 dollar credit to offset the price of the headphones, now you want to try to get an additional 300 by getting 300 dollars for the headphones. To put it another way, you're trying to get 600 hundred dollars from apple (300 in a price credit and 300 in cash).

I'm paying is like $2700 which is almost the same as my 5 year old 15" rMBP.
I'm not sure what your point is? Are you complaining about Apple's pricing? If so, no one is forcing you to buy it. You certainly can get a MBP somewhere else, or not even buy the MBP.

There are some third parties that are offering bigger discount on education institutions than how much apple is offering
Go for that then.

biopig

Suspended
Original poster
May 15, 2014
You're returning the headphones in an attempt to get 300 dollars. You got a 300 dollar credit to offset the price of the headphones, now you want to try to get an additional 300 by getting 300 dollars for the headphones. To put it another way, you're trying to get 600 hundred dollars from apple (300 in a price credit and 300 in cash).
That explains why you are criticizing this. Originally I got $300 off the MBP, but paid $300 for the headphones. Let's say the price of laptop is $2000, headphone price is $300, after $300 off of the laptop, the total price after discount is $2000 for a laptop and headphones. so the laptop is $1700, and I paid for some headphones that I don't need for another $300.

If I'm gonna return the headphones and they allow it, I got no headphones but $300 off of laptop. the total price I paid is $1700 for a laptop only($2000 price, minus $300 credit), no headphones. Where's the $300 cash you just said? I thought anyone who's been in elementary school knew the math. When you pay $10 for an item but then you decide to return it, you did and got $10 refund, do you think you get free $10 out of nowhere?

I'm not sure what your point is? Are you complaining about Apple's pricing? If so, no one is forcing you to buy it. You certainly can get a MBP somewhere else, or not even buy the MBP.
yes I'm complaining the price. $100 off really means nothing, I believe it makes more sense if Apple just take $200 off of education price. No one is forcing me to buy it and no one is forcing you to judge, you just volunteered. If you have read my reply, I mentioned
The reason I order from apple is that only apple can customize the configuration.
to upgrade CPU, memory and storage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.