Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperTramp27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Southwest
Hello everyone one, this is just a question to see if it's actually possible? And if illegal.

I'm pretty nifty with soldering and a customer has a mbp 2011 model and a new efi chip he wants me to put on that's been flashed to "apparently" replace this one on the mbp he has.

The questions are 1. Would it actually work or would I just be wasting my time doing it for him.
And 2. Anyone on here ever come a cross a corrupt efi chip that's needed replacing (as I don't think it's even possible)

3. I suspect it's because it's got a padlock logo on start and might be a "lost or stolen" mbp. So would be illegal so I should refuse to do the job? Just thoughts really.

Cheers in advance.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I thinks it's more likely that the EFI is working properly and doing it's job rather than being corrupt.

If a person bought a computer from a legitimate source, I would think that they would go to an Apple store to fix the padlock issue rather than having the EFI replaced.

I would think the downside of accepting the job (including the probability of it not working) is considerably greater than whatever you earn from the job.

SuperTramp27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Southwest
I thinks it's more likely that the EFI is working properly and doing it's job rather than being corrupt.

If a person bought a computer from a legitimate source, I would think that they would go to an Apple store to fix the padlock issue rather than having the EFI replaced.

I would think the downside of accepting the job (including the probability of it not working) is considerably greater than whatever you earn from the job.
[doublepost=1457548855][/doublepost]That was the first question I have asked him. He's got it from cash converters local store has a receipt for the mbp serial numbers match.

He said he's been to the Apple Store but they have refused to help as he's not the owner registered.
Come up with this issue after a update and restore and it's triggered the firmware password.

And the store won't take it back as he could of set the password that is blocking it from being restored.

But I've told him I doubt it would change the fact it's locked out, and even if it did replace the EFI chip it would still be locked. But he wants me to try and coming to the store tomorrow.

Would I be commuting an offence if I did indeed do the repair as I've just opened a local store beginning of this year and the last thing I want is to be closing down so soon leaving myself in a debt if you get my drift?

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Is the system asking for a 6-digit or a 4-digit code? If it's a 6-digit code, it might be related to Find My iPhone, which seems to be a problem legitimate owners run into. It could also be that an authorized person activated the Find My Mac feature sometime after the person bought the computer.

If it's a 4-digit code with the padlock, that is the EFI lock and should have been noticed by the the store and your potential customer. (I haven't used either but it would be worthwhile for you to become familiar with which screen is which type of security measure considering the business you run.) I suppose it's possible that an OS update contained a EFI firmware update that had a bug that mistakenly setup a passcode. If it's a 4-digit code, you may just suggest that they try entering the code until it unlocks - that will likely be more successful than changing the EFI and not involve you doing something directly to the computer.

SuperTramp27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Southwest
Is the system asking for a 6-digit or a 4-digit code? If it's a 6-digit code, it might be related to Find My iPhone, which seems to be a problem legitimate owners run into. It could also be that an authorized person activated the Find My Mac feature sometime after the person bought the computer.

If it's a 4-digit code with the padlock, that is the EFI lock and should have been noticed by the the store and your potential customer. (I haven't used either but it would be worthwhile for you to become familiar with which screen is which type of security measure considering the business you run.) I suppose it's possible that an OS update contained a EFI firmware update that had a bug that mistakenly setup a passcode. If it's a 4-digit code, you may just suggest that they try entering the code until it unlocks - that will likely be more successful than changing the EFI and not involve you doing something directly to the computer.
[doublepost=1457557726][/doublepost]I've not physically had it in my hands as of yet to have a look but from the email, he's just getting a padlock that he's googled and indicates efi which it would be if indeed he's correct. I have asked about the 4 digit pin but he's responded with "I've not had the option to type a pin or had a 4 digit pin screen it's literally just a padlock and password block" so until I get my hands on the mbp I can't really say. Thank you for all the advice :) the main thing is I don't want to get into trouble if it comes to changing the chip. I've had a look online and it's not saying if it is indeed illegal or not.

If I'm honest I'm just a repair shop mainly phone, but offer pc-laptop ungrade and restores. This is a bit out of my technical ability of I'm honest. Not the soldring side as I do all things like plug Jacks new fuses etc. But software chips and and password removals I don't normally do or even get asked to do.

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Changing the EFI chip per se isn't illegal. But considering the doubt about whether it was legally transferred or not and your knowledge of that doubt, I would decline the job. Your potential customer sounds like an innocent victim, but that doesn't change the status (one way or the other) of the computer.

Reactions: SuperTramp27

SuperTramp27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Southwest
Changing the EFI chip per se isn't illegal. But considering the doubt about whether it was legally transferred or not and your knowledge of that doubt, I would decline the job. Your potential customer sounds like an innocent victim, but that doesn't change the status (one way or the other) of the computer.
Thank you for the clarity, I shall decline the repair. Could lead to agro that's unneeded. Thank you to everyone giving me advice on the matter. Handy place for getting things answered. Treekram you have been a gem.

Reactions: jerryk

SuperTramp27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Southwest
It's probably a stolen laptop.
That's what I think it will end up being. But I'll have a look get the the pin lock screen and there it normally has a message saying its stolen or lost and I can show him.

I'll give him some advice along the lines of taking it to the police station along with the receipt and they might help him get his money back as its from a shop that should of done checks and not sold stolen good. and get the mbp back the the original owner.

alexunlocks

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2017
for mbp 2011 removing 1 stick of ram and resetting PRAM works for removing any restrictions, theres plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
for mbp 2011 removing 1 stick of ram and resetting PRAM works for removing any restrictions, theres plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do
Perhaps worth trying - but Apple added the extra security to the firmware password with the early MBPro 2011 models. You should expect that the "change the RAM configuration, then reset" would NOT work on a 2011 MBPro.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.