Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I’m wondering what benefits an eGPU might have for Lightroom and Photoshop use on my new 2020 Mac Mini i7. I have read that it can benefit some areas while others may not be supported. However, most articles date back over a year and I wonder if there have been improvements with the latest OS updates.

Does anyone have experience using an eGPU with their Mac for image work?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shipp

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
The GPU can boost performance in in Lightroom quite a bit, especially as the Mac Mini (it's a 2018, there were no 2019 or 2020 Mac Mini models). Sliders and the changes are much more responsive and scrolling through photos was also faster. Overall it felt much snappier.

Reactions: steveash

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
There's always something better coming. Would it do the job for you at the right price and with enough useful life?
The GPU can boost performance in in Lightroom quite a bit, especially as the Mac Mini (it's a 2018, there were no 2019 or 2020 Mac Mini models). Sliders and the changes are much more responsive and scrolling through photos was also faster. Overall it felt much snappier.

Thanks, sounds like its worth doing then. Did you try it with Photoshop too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.