Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorilla'sMom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
My late 2013, 27" iMac is completely up to date with software, but keeps randomly having complete system wide freezes (yes, usually when Safari is open).

Today it froze, I crashed it and rebooted, but it's still frozen. I tried rebooting in safe mode. Nothing.

Last time this happened I found something that recommended disconnecting peripherals and then reconnecting at some point, and it worked like a charm, but I can't find the information anymore. I have a usb keyboard, Bluetooth mouse. Have tried rebooting and connecting everything one-by-one, but still not working.

PLEASE HELP!!!

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
My late 2013, 27" iMac is completely up to date with software, but keeps randomly having complete system wide freezes (yes, usually when Safari is open).

Today it froze, I crashed it and rebooted, but it's still frozen. I tried rebooting in safe mode. Nothing.

Last time this happened I found something that recommended disconnecting peripherals and then reconnecting at some point, and it worked like a charm, but I can't find the information anymore. I have a usb keyboard, Bluetooth mouse. Have tried rebooting and connecting everything one-by-one, but still not working.

PLEASE HELP!!!
[doublepost=1473465363][/doublepost]I think ypu may be talking about a smc reset. Shut it down,.remove the power plug from the back of the mac. Unplug EVERY device. Printer, keyboard, everything. Wait five minutes. Plug the pwer cord back in. Start. Plug in mouse. Then all others. That might work.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
If it still occurs download and run Etrecheck. Also disable any Safari extensions and see if it still occurs, create and use a different account and see if it still occurs, boot into safe mode and see if it still occurs.

Post the results of all that and that will help narrow it down...

Gorilla'sMom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
[doublepost=1473465363][/doublepost]I think ypu may be talking about a smc reset. Shut it down,.remove the power plug from the back of the mac. Unplug EVERY device. Printer, keyboard, everything. Wait five minutes. Plug the pwer cord back in. Start. Plug in mouse. Then all others. That might work.

Thanks - that's exactly what I did and it worked!.
[doublepost=1473558167][/doublepost]
If it still occurs download and run Etrecheck. Also disable any Safari extensions and see if it still occurs, create and use a different account and see if it still occurs, boot into safe mode and see if it still occurs.

Post the results of all that and that will help narrow it down...

I did that the last time and it didn't show any errors. This time I wasn't even able to boot in safe mode. If it happens again, I'll try running Etrecheck once I can get back in, but not sure that's going to help after the fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.