Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I'm thinking from the perspective of additional copies.

I understand that in iPhoto I'll have the original, plus the iPhoto modified copy.

If I use Elements, how easy is it to decide which photo I edit (original or iPhoto modified), and do I get additional Elements copies as well and which one gets displayed in the main iPhoto album or whatever its called?

And if I subsequently re-edit a photo with iPhoto that i previously edited with Elements, will I find my 1Tb TM drive fills up instantly as recursive copies spiral out of control ? :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm thinking from the perspective of additional copies.

I understand that in iPhoto I'll have the original, plus the iPhoto modified copy.

If I use Elements, how easy is it to decide which photo I edit (original or iPhoto modified), and do I get additional Elements copies as well and which one gets displayed in the main iPhoto album or whatever its called?

And if I subsequently re-edit a photo with iPhoto that i previously edited with Elements, will I find my 1Tb TM drive fills up instantly as recursive copies spiral out of control ? :D

Do NOT worry about storage. A 1TB drive is 1,000,000MB Even if you images took up 10MB each there is room for 100,000 on the drive. Or another way to think about it. is that today a 1Tb drive costs $100 so each images costs about 1/10th of a cent to store.

That out of the way, When Elements is set as iPhoto's "default editor" it is given the current version of the file and when you click "save" from within Elements when iPhoto gave to Elements is overwritten. If you want to give Elements the unedited version of the photo you would need to first tell iphoto to "revert to original"

In addition from within Elements could always say "Save As..." and store your edited copy outside of iPhoto andthen you would have a third version

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Do NOT worry about storage. A 1TB drive is 1,000,000MB Even if you images took up 10MB each there is room for 100,000 on the drive. Or another way to think about it. is that today a 1Tb drive costs $100 so each images costs about 1/10th of a cent to store.

That out of the way, When Elements is set as iPhoto's "default editor" it is given the current version of the file and when you click "save" from within Elements when iPhoto gave to Elements is overwritten. If you want to give Elements the unedited version of the photo you would need to first tell iphoto to "revert to original"

In addition from within Elements could always say "Save As..." and store your edited copy outside of iPhoto andthen you would have a third version

Thanks that makes it very clear.

Just got an update today, my iMac is now 'shipped' and I had a very useful (Not) 'track your order' link that when I followed it informed me that my iMac was 'in transit' :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.