Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hey All,

I have got Elements (4.0) now finally and it has been installed. I have also heard that it can handel raw image files.

I have done a small shoot in my garden this morning in RAW as i wanted to have a play with the settings but upon attaching my camera to the computer Elements dosent open the import dialog as it says it should.

How do you get RAW files off your camera onto your computer becuase i don't have a card reader and using the MAC's image capture downloads a .CR2 file which elements dosent recongnise.

Many Thanks
Richard

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
That works like a charm, here is a breakdown in case anyone comes accross this with the same problem.

I have go the Canon EOS 400D and shooting images in RAW by selecting this option in the camera's menu. After shooting my pictures and getting back to my computer iu downloaded the images from the camera only to find that they had been saved in a .CR2 file format which the software i was using (Elements 4.0) didn't support. After some searching on google i found a utility that allows you to convert your camera's files (.CR2) to a more universal file called DMG which elements can read, this allows you to keep the RAW capabilities of the image in tact but edit it as you would if you had been able to open the .CR2 file.

I hope this helps and thanks to the poster above for the imformation regarding the CR2 information.

Note: The link to the utility required to convert is in the post above this one.

- Rich

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well maybe this is the "utility" you mention; but Adobe Camera RAW works just fine with Photoshop Elements. I haven't used it since I started using Aperture; but I used to use it all the time. You shouldn't have to do any pre-conversion; Camera RAW should handle the file straight off the camera.

Isn't .cr2 just an updated Canon RAW format? (Just like my Nikon's RAW files are .nef) I used to save the .nef files onto my computer using GraphicConverter, then load them into Elements with Camera RAW.

Note that, if you have a brand new camera, you may need to download an updated version of Adobe Camera RAW.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I have a 350D, when i take pics in RAW i just plug the camera in, load up iphoto, have in import everything, then drag a file over to elements 4 in the dock and it opens it just fine.

.CR2 files i think too, i'll check later :)

Or have i just missed the point :rolleyes:

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I dont know but when i drag a .CR2 file across to elements it says
'This operation could not be completed becuase the file isn't recognised by Elements'
where would i get Camera Raw from and how does this work with Elements??

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Adobe's download site

Elements should automatically invoke it when it detects a RAW file format.

That is what i am using, it came with a plugin which i tried to install by double clicking but it didnt wanna play and said it couldnt install.

Iam just manually downloading all my files from the camera and running them throught that application.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That is what i am using, it came with a plugin which i tried to install by double clicking but it didnt wanna play and said it couldnt install.

Iam just manually downloading all my files from the camera and running them throught that application.

Huh - I saw someone comment on Versiontracker that they had trouble with the most recent version too - so they downloaded one version back (3.6 I think) and it worked fine.

The question is, though, if 3.6 supports your camera or not. It's worth a try. The main thing that changes version to version is the list of supported cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.