Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmPPgamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
I partially set up an iPad by doing a restore from back up which brought across the descriptions (labels / names effectively) that had been set for old email accounts. These descriptions are then applied in the Mail app so they mean something more, and are far shorter, than lengthy email addresses. I've just added another old iCloud email account that was created on another device but after finally getting the iPad to accept it (a problem posted about elsewhere with needing to find a way to accept new iCloud T&C being an issue) I now find that there's no option to edit the description of the account anywhere? At least not that I've found yet. It's not under Settings / Email / Accounts nor Settings / Contacts / Accounts and nothing can be edited from the Mail app?

iOS 15 sure seems to be a step backwards in terms of functionality and user friendliness in some cases!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I partially set up an iPad by doing a restore from back up which brought across the descriptions (labels / names effectively) that had been set for old email accounts. These descriptions are then applied in the Mail app so they mean something more, and are far shorter, than lengthy email addresses. I've just added another old iCloud email account that was created on another device but after finally getting the iPad to accept it (a problem posted about elsewhere with needing to find a way to accept new iCloud T&C being an issue) I now find that there's no option to edit the description of the account anywhere? At least not that I've found yet. It's not under Settings / Email / Accounts nor Settings / Contacts / Accounts and nothing can be edited from the Mail app?

iOS 15 sure seems to be a step backwards in terms of functionality and user friendliness in some cases!

You are just talking about the description correct? Its like you would have found it if it was easy. You are using your primary iCloud email for your AppleID?

EmPPgamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Your'e right. Another reason not to use Apple iCloud mail I guess. One step forward, two back with Apple's 'new features'. You can change the description on a MacBook and used to be able to on iOS devices too, indeed the old iCloud accounts that had edited descriptions restored fine with those descriptions, just the new one that's the problem, thanks to Apple deciding that a lengthy full email address is a user friendly way of labelling an email address. Some bizarre thinking and decision making processes that go on at Apple these days :(

EmPPgamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
You are just talking about the description correct? Its like you would have found it if it was easy. You are using your primary iCloud email for your AppleID?
I'm not sure what you mean TBH. I am talking about the field in Email setup called 'Description' which will be the 'label' iOS assigns the email address both in Settings / Email / Accounts and, more importantly, in the actual Email app when using it when users have more than one email account. In those cases 'Work' (or whatever) would be a more useful account name than 'fredbloggs.office@abc123456.com'.

It's a field that used to be editable for all accounts previously, now it's only for non iCloud accounts. It's almost as if Apple is actively trying to discourage the use of more than one iCloud account given that labelling accounts for any other provider is so much more user friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.