Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tompijls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Hi guys,

bit frustrating I need to raise this question, as it seems such a simple ask. Looking for a decent mail client, which allows me to specify where it stores it's data.

For obvious reasons, I don't want to keep large email archives on my macbook's drive.
Outlook for mac or mac mail don't seem to allow me (without dirty hacks) to specify an external disk.

Any advise?

Tom

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I use Powermail and it can store mail in user created folders within the app (just drag a mail from the inbox to your target folder). The Powermail data is all stored in one folder in the User/Mail/Powermail Files folder, and backing up that folder is very easy. Just copy it to your external backup disk, or use CCC to make a bootable backup. I don't know if you can actually specify an external folder, but it seems you could use an alias or a direct link, if that external disk is always connected when you access the app.
However, I have a LOT of mail and that data folder is only 75MB, so I don't think the size will be a problem, even leaving that folder where it usually goes. There are some potential issues with Powermail in your usage case, as it accesses that folder when the app starts up. The company that produces it rarely updates it, but it just keeps working (so far). And it is very easy and intuitive to use.
Give it a try. http://www.ctmdev.com/

twomper

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2018
MailMate can do this, along with so many other amazing things. It's far and away the best Mac email app out there.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not sure what you consider a “dirty hack” but a symbolic link in the default location pointing to Mail’s data folder on an external would most probably work. I’ve got some folders set up that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.