Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leviath4n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Hi All,

I'm after a MacOSX email client (non SaaS) software that can group inbound emails based on its sender (in the conversation/thread style); so that it is easy for me to delete/archive/put tag in one go.

I have found two so far:
  • UniBox - This is a good app, unfortunately, after looking their twitter account, looks like they have stopped the development in 2017
  • SpikeNow - This is a SaaS app - unfortunately, for this one, it requires communications to their server; and after looking at their privacy policy; rather worrying:
Spike may securely access or store your email address and password, your emails and other conversations and your contact list (including any public images attached to contacts in the list). Data may be deleted from our servers after a few days, and Spike will not be liable for any data deleted due to the passage of time.

I have also tried the following apps, none can do conversation-thread style based on sender:
Thanks in advance

rmb867

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Try Mimestream, but note that it is only for Gmail accounts

it is still in beta but I’m pleased with it so far.

emilyab

Suspended
Oct 16, 2021
Hi,While we understand your concern, all data is completely encrypted. Spike does not have access to your password; you log in through your email provider using OATH. Keeping your data secure is our top priority, and we do it with the AES-256 algorithm (same as AWS). We're governed by the highest security standards and follow strict privacy policies enforced by our CSO, including external security audits by independent evaluators. You can connect directly with our security team security@spikenow.com

leviath4n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Try Mimestream
Thanks for your reply; does MimeStream provide conversation-style thread by subject? Looking at the screenshots on their website, does not seem like it? Unless I missed it.

Spike does not have access to your password
Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that Spike rep is participating in forum like this.
I understand you don't access client password (as it's using OAUTH), but then, the email contents (including attachments) are stored in your server, and that's made me worried.

Unless you provide a guarantee the email contents are encrypted in your data center, I might consider Spike.
Furthermore, do you have any plan in creating a client app that stored the emails directly on the client machine?

Thanks

leviath4n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Mailmate?
Thanks for the suggestion!

Interesting that the website has a bunch of texts but not a single screenshot of the app itself.
I might need to download it and give it a try myself.

Update: finally, found the screenshots, here

Last edited:

emilyab

Suspended
Oct 16, 2021
Thanks for your reply; does MimeStream provide conversation-style thread by subject? Looking at the screenshots on their website, does not seem like it? Unless I missed it.

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that Spike rep is participating in forum like this.
I understand you don't access client password (as it's using OAUTH), but then, the email contents (including attachments) are stored in your server, and that's made me worried.

Unless you provide a guarantee the email contents are encrypted in your data center, I might consider Spike.
Furthermore, do you have any plan in creating a client app that stored the emails directly on the client machine?

Thanks
All email content (including attachments) is stored on our servers, and it is encrypted. Additionally, at the moment, we do not have any plans to create a client app that stores email directly on the client machine.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
All email content (including attachments) is stored on our servers, and it is encrypted. Additionally, at the moment, we do not have any plans to create a client app that stores email directly on the client machine.
Well THAT would certainly be enough to stop me from using your product.

Reactions: leviath4n

ionzig

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
Did anyone find an email client with this feature?

I have been using Unibox for years, expecting it to stop working any day now. The idea of dealing with email by Subject hurts my brain :(

parameter

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2004
Arizona
Sure wish the default Apple Mail actually worked well. So many problems that haven't been fixed & so many features that have past it by that are available in other clients and services. Just like most of Apple's apps these days, they don't get much attention.

And something like Hide My Email is nifty & all but not a game changer. Lots of similar services that do the same thing and were around long before. Apple just isn't innovating or focusing on software for a long while now.

I too have tried all of the main clients listed above. Spark, Newton, Airmail, Canarymail, and a few others. But have not and don't plan on using any SaaS solutions for my email. That's just not something I'm interested in. But thank you for chiming in Emilyab, while I don't prefer your SaaS model for email in particular, it is nice to see you noticed this thread and replied :). Maybe it will help some other users.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sure wish the default Apple Mail actually worked well. So many problems that haven't been fixed & so many features that have past it by that are available in other clients and services. Just like most of Apple's apps these days, they don't get much attention.

And something like Hide My Email is nifty & all but not a game changer. Lots of similar services that do the same thing and were around long before. Apple just isn't innovating or focusing on software for a long while now.
A lot of the features many want can put privacy at risk and create liability for Apple. As far as mail bugs, that is a different monster lol. Luckily, the stock app has worked pretty well for me.

NickAlikA

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2019
I also am looking for "UNIBOX" alternative
SparkMail PRO has that feature apparently (but it's not visually appealing)
I also submitted a thread iin apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/post/question?communityId=3038020#
I asked if it's possible to use extensions to make apple mail function better.

p.s. I asked ChatGPT:
Maybe someone with more skill can just develop this plugin which turns apple mail into unibox

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 02.22.12.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 02.22.12.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: nopster

nopster

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I also am looking for "UNIBOX" alternative
SparkMail PRO has that feature apparently (but it's not visually appealing)
I also submitted a thread iin apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/post/question?communityId=3038020#
I asked if it's possible to use extensions to make apple mail function better.

p.s. I asked ChatGPT:
Maybe someone with more skill can just develop this plugin which turns apple mail into unibox
Wow! It seems interesting for me too! Anyone skilled to make it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.