Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PirateRobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Houston, TX
I've been racking my brain to figure out an email heirarchy that is not overly complicated or reliant on endless moving parts to achieve such basic needs.

I want to have the following email set-up

1 x 'personal' email (friends, family) : blue@gmail.com
1 x 'accounts' email (websites, accounts) : eight@gmail.com

(I have 1 x work email which is work-only. I have 1 x throw away email which is for garbage.)

The problem I am having is when you add Apple ID into this. By my above two classifications, I would be using my 'accounts' email as my Apple ID (eight@gmail.com), as on the surface, the Apple ID is no different than having an user name at CVS.com or any other website. Buying apps, buying hardware, etc are fine, as it falls into line with why I have an 'accounts' email.

However, the issue is that the Apple ID/'accounts' email address would also be the default email for Mail, iMessage, etc. And I don't want to chat/mail/etc with friends and family thru an email which is also being used for websites/accounts sign-ups, shopping, etc.

If I make the 'personal' email my Apple ID instead (blue@gmail.com), that solves the issue of using the 'personal' account for personal matters (mail/chatting with friends and family), but then it's the default email for all my apps, purchases thru Apple, etc - not what I want it to be.

The quick solution is to have 1 email account for everything (friends/family, websites/accounts, and apple id). But then it will turn into a mess with spam to follow.

There must be a way I'm not seeing, staring me right in the face that will allow me to have the 1 x 'personal' email (for friends, family) and 1 x 'accounts' email (for websites, accounts) and still somehow accomodate the Apple ID (which is the item screwing up this process).

Please help.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Not sure if this still aplies, but I have my apple ID (lets say charliecastle@apple.com), and then in apple's mail I got 5 alias (let´s say I chose at the time, bcncat@apple.com, student@apple.com, physician@apple.com, nicknameonlymywifeuseswithme@apple.com and icantrememberthelastone@apple.com).

Email sent to any of this aliases (and of course to my "original" apple ID) reach my inbox in Apple's mail app, and I can reply with whichever I want. I've had this for at least 11 years, maybe even 14, and is perfect for what you say you need (keep separate email accounts).

If the creation of aliases is not longer an option Apple gives (I seem to recall this ended some time ago), on most mail clients (apple's own included) you can add several email accounts and choose which one to use for different things. I have a gmail and a yahoo account for emergencies and whatnots.

On the chat side of the equation, you can choose whether to use a phone number or an email address (the one which you use as your apple ID) as the "messaging from". But it seems probable you could not use a different email address to the apple ID.

As for the etc, I really couldn't say.

Hope this helps.

PirateRobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Houston, TX
Not sure if this still aplies, but I have my apple ID (lets say charliecastle@apple.com), and then in apple's mail I got 5 alias (let´s say I chose at the time, bcncat@apple.com, student@apple.com, physician@apple.com, nicknameonlymywifeuseswithme@apple.com and icantrememberthelastone@apple.com).

Email sent to any of this aliases (and of course to my "original" apple ID) reach my inbox in Apple's mail app, and I can reply with whichever I want. I've had this for at least 11 years, maybe even 14, and is perfect for what you say you need (keep separate email accounts).

If the creation of aliases is not longer an option Apple gives (I seem to recall this ended some time ago), on most mail clients (apple's own included) you can add several email accounts and choose which one to use for different things. I have a gmail and a yahoo account for emergencies and whatnots.

On the chat side of the equation, you can choose whether to use a phone number or an email address (the one which you use as your apple ID) as the "messaging from". But it seems probable you could not use a different email address to the apple ID.

As for the etc, I really couldn't say.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your input and help on this.

I'm not sure is Apple still offers Alias, either. I wasn't looking at this from an email client perspective, but know what you mean.

Just seems that all is well until the topic of an Apple ID comes into play. I've read in a few places where people mention having a personal email (friends/family), a general email (for websites, new accounts, etc) and an iCloud account (Apple ID). But I'm at a loss for how they would use the iCloud account for Apple ID (which signs their computer/device into that account, defaults as their email address in Mail, primary for iMessage/Facetime, etc) but then still have a seperate personal account, which you'd want to use as your primary in Mail, iMessage/Facetime, etc.

Seems like if you have 1 personal email and 1 for new accounts, websites, your email for Apple ID would have to be one of these two, but regardless of which one, it would always overlap into the other. Only way I see to eliminate the overlap is two have 1 email account for everything (friends, family, website accounts, and apple id).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.