Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
For anyone with a new touch bar MacBook Pro, have you run across the emojis on the touch bar not working? I keep pressing on them and nothing happens, even after a reboot. Don't tell me I already broke it...

Also, not that I really care about emojis but it is a function that does not work.

Uravggf

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2016
For anyone with a new touch bar MacBook Pro, have you run across the emojis on the touch bar not working? I keep pressing on them and nothing happens, even after a reboot. Don't tell me I already broke it...

Also, not that I really care about emojis but it is a function that does not work.

*bump* I'm having the same issue with my 13" pro.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
*bump* I'm having the same issue with my 13" pro.
My AV program (Webroot) was interfering with that specific function - no other function. I shutdown the program and picking emojis worked again. See which program may be causing interference.

nthom828

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah man, whenever I'm specifically in iMessage (which is where I would use the Emoji's the most, ironically), the Emojis do not work. The touch-bar just goes blank. I have to click out of the application and re-enter for the touch-bar to even turn back on. I also have the 13" MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Benito

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Yeah man, whenever I'm specifically in iMessage (which is where I would use the Emoji's the most, ironically), the Emojis do not work. The touch-bar just goes blank. I have to click out of the application and re-enter for the touch-bar to even turn back on. I also have the 13" MacBook Pro.

That happens to me on the 15".

jaceysmith

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017

Had same problem. Found a youtube comment with the following and it corrected it for me:

"Found that I mistakenly turned on a setting when setting up a zoom short cut. Select Apple menu () > System Preferences. Then click on Accessibility, select Zoom, and turn off Enable Touch Bar Zoom."

Asianracer

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2017
Sunny Southern California
Had same problem. Found a youtube comment with the following and it corrected it for me:

"Found that I mistakenly turned on a setting when setting up a zoom short cut. Select Apple menu () > System Preferences. Then click on Accessibility, select Zoom, and turn off Enable Touch Bar Zoom."

I had the same problem. Your solution worked. Thanks for that!

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada

I'm having this problem, but I checked and do not have Enable Touch Bar Zoom checked off. Strange problem and really intrusive when trying to use Messages.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
This happens to me also in iMessage on my 2017 15" (macOS 10.12.6) intermittently. Very annoying. Only way to solve for me is a reboot; closing and reopening iMessage doesn't help.

rachel_apple

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2017
So I somewhat MAYBE temporarily fixed mine by changing "KEYBOARD PREFERENCES".." click "PRESS Fn key to then drop down option of ==EXPAND CONTROL STRIP ===rather than the other option of show F1, F2, etc Keys. Lo and behold, the emoji keys are working again. Try it if you want.

Let's see if my emoji will disappear on me again. ✌☺️❤️

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 5.21.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 5.21.47 PM.png
    590.7 KB · Views: 1,593

Kate krieg

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
So I somewhat MAYBE temporarily fixed mine by changing "KEYBOARD PREFERENCES".." click "PRESS Fn key to then drop down option of ==EXPAND CONTROL STRIP ===rather than the other option of show F1, F2, etc Keys. Lo and behold, the emoji keys are working again. Try it if you want.

Wow, after half an hour of searching this actually fixed it and the emoji returned to my control bar!
I found that my keyboard preference was already set to ==expand control strip== and only when I set it to the “touch bar shows” to ==app controls with control strip== did it start working. It makes sense now.

briannaflorian

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017

This worked for me! Just got my 2017 13' MacBook Pro & this fixed my emoji problem! Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.