Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell

Instead of manually creating the config file, adGuard team created the sign profile ready for download.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
I’m using the AdGuard pro app with iOS 14 and the dns are working (via dnscrypt) without manually configure the vpn.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I’m using the AdGuard pro app with iOS 14 and the dns are working (via dnscrypt) without manually configure the vpn.

This is just an example on how to use an Encrypted DNS which is a built in feature of iOS 14 and macOS Big Surr without an app. Of course, if you already have the PRO, you may not need it.

Users can just create the mobile config file and install it directly in Settings. In theory, this will save battery life.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Oh ok sorry I thought you created the post because the adguard app was not compatible with iOS 14.
By the way I’m not able to install it, where are the “profile” under Setting/general/profile? I can’t see it!

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Oh ok sorry I thought you created the post because the adguard app was not compatible with iOS 14.
By the way I’m not able to install it, where are the “profile” under Setting/general/profile? I can’t see it!

ah sorry, i updated my steps to make it easier to follow. Once you created or downloaded the the adGuard.mobileconfig in the link provided above, you need to open it in Safari, (example is send it t your email and open the email in safari)

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
ah sorry, i updated my steps to make it easier to follow. Once you created or downloaded the the adGuard.mobileconfig in the link provided above, you need to open it in Safari, (example is send it t your email and open the email in safari)

??‍♂️

IMG_694DB5E09183-1.jpeg

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Here:

AdGuard made some official mobile config for us!

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2017
It’s been a disaster with iOS 14. All of my VPN profiles are not working. The personal ones like AdGuard and full ones that encrypt traffic.

I restored from an older back up and it started working again until half way of downloading apps back on the phone and all VPNs stopped working again.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Here:

AdGuard made some official mobile config for us!
This works thanks!

By thge way I wouldn't use it because with the app I can switch off the VPN on my home network that is running on a Pi-Hole and doesn't need AdGuard DNS. But the profile is working correctly.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
It’s been a disaster with iOS 14. All of my VPN profiles are not working. The personal ones like AdGuard and full ones that encrypt traffic.

I restored from an older back up and it started working again until half way of downloading apps back on the phone and all VPNs stopped working again.

that’s not good. I only have AdGuard in my apple devices, and no vpns. so mine is still ok.

Greenlee

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
Will this method save battery life on the phone vs having the AdGuard app installed?

zz_nosa_r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
Will this method save battery life on the phone vs having the AdGuard app installed?
In theory Yes, this should save battery life since the feature is already baked in the OS it self and no need for any VPN configuration for it to work. This method is just a profile to tell the OS what DNS should be used.
But this method is not as superior as the App. The app has a lot of features including host file, network selection, etc. but the app will have this option too soon in version 4.1.

dallastigers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
TX

I have been having problems with vpns as well. Lose connection a lot. Hard to reconnect at times (or slow at least).

Other problem I have had is the new DNS selection for apps that support it or even AdGuard profile is it not actually using the respective services as DNS revolver most of the time. I can get it to work at times, but using a VPN for a moment then using going off VPN seems to revert to default of Wifi or cell network even if one of the two DNS apps/profiles are selected. It’s almost the opposite of how it worked under a beta when DNS app took over all DNS regardless of setting or using regular VPN. I was thinking I was using my own DNS until I realized some things not blocked and checked. Checking more often now, and Its usually not working and using default of network.

Outside of leakage and not even respecting turning back to automatic DNS setting I did like having it working with regular and personal VPNs in that one ios 14 beta. I knew something was different when I updated to next beta and my VPN app no longer appear as a DNS choice. I do wish they would allow DNS setting to work when using a personal VPN otherwise I will still need to run a DNS app as a fake VPN. Hopefully apps will provide for both (fake VPN & DNS), but so far one that i know has updated does not and now isn’t helpful as 14 ignores DNS setting too often and no VPN in status bar or similar letting you know it’s working or not working out and about with phone.

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
Glad this exists! Just come across it while searching for something else and put it on my iPhone. I have a Pi Hole on my local network but this is great for when I'm using mobile data. I've configured my Android phones to use AdGuard DNS in the past via DoT and I'm glad this option is now available on iOS too even if it's a little more fiddly to setup.

For those like me who have a Pi Hole at home and don't need this active all the time, you can disable it at any time in your settings. It's listed under the VPN settings, a new option pops up called "profiles", and there you can set DNS to "automatic" which will pick up your WiFi's DNS server through DHCP like normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.