Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I'd like to know if it was possible to enable TRIM for a specific external SSD on an M1 mac (specifically a mac mini M1 2020 with macOS Big Sur 11.3).
Even a paid app would be good; Basically I'd like to avoid the onboard SSD of the mac being affected.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hello.

I'd like to know if it was possible to enable TRIM for a specific external SSD on an M1 mac (specifically a mac mini M1 2020 with macOS Big Sur 11.3).
Even a paid app would be good; Basically I'd like to avoid the onboard SSD of the mac being affected.

Thank you very much.

What you want will happen automatically if you use a Thunderbolt external. OTOH I don't think you need to worry about external drives affecting the internal. How are you concerned it will be affected?

My understanding and experience is that macOS cannot send TRIM commands to external drives connected to the USB bus, but automatically does to Thunderbolt devices connected to the TB bus, (as it does to the internal drive).

I have an external Thunderbolt drive (Envoy Express with NVMe WD) on which System Information shows TRIM is automatically enabled, and several Samsung T5 and T7 USB drives on which TRIM is not supported or enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectronGuru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.