Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
I back up my data on Mac to external ssd manually once two weeks and for security reason, my goal is to encrypt the external ssd with a password, similar to BitLocker on Windows. When I access the content, the password is required.

P.S. I don't like the Time Machine backup option.

Thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The above works, but since you already have data on the drive it's a bit of work to make a backup, reformat the drive, and copy the data back. Far easier is to add encryption to the data in place:

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
The above works, but since you already have data on the drive it's a bit of work to make a backup, reformat the drive, and copy the data back. Far easier is to add encryption to the data in place:

Which format should be used, APFS or HFS? I need to access it on old Mac like MBP Late 2015.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Just a caution about the Finder method @chabig mentions. It is certainly easier but it takes a long time. There is no easy way to monitor progress but you can use it normally while it is going on. The reformat and copy back is quicker.

John Daniels of Etrecheck fame told me how to monitor progress on an APFS external: Typediskutil apfs list -plist into Terminal window and search for “CryptoMigrationProgressPercent”

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Which format should be used, APFS or HFS? I need to access it on old Mac like MBP Late 2015.

It’s not the age of the mac that matters but the macOS version it is on. APFS came in with High Sierra so if it is on that or later you should be OK to use APFS.

Many would say that if the disk is a spinning HDD, you should still chose HFS+ as there are some penalties with APFS on spinning HFS+ but these are mostly related to speed when using APFS on a boot drive. For backup use APFS should be fine, and Apple forces APFS for Time Machine backup drives. But for a backup spinner there is maybe not a lot of advantage for APFS which was designed for SSD.

Reactions: Joeronzk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.