Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waddadoeverybody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Hi all,

I have questions about two scenarios -computer with one physical hard drive partitioned into three volumes.

part1- boot mavericks - FileVault2 turned on
part2- empty - encrypted via right click
part3- empty - encrypted via right click

When I encrypt volumes by right clicking I can set a password, i think this can even be a different pass than used for part1. What / is there an encryption key (long alphanumeric key) for these volumes like I got when I turned on FV2 via sys prefs on the boot volume?

2nd question, same setup.
If I want to install a 2nd OSX system on part2, should i just install to the encrypted part2? Or decrypt, install system, boot to it, and turn on FV2 from within sys prefs? Both of these questions revolve around the differences between encrypting by turning FV2 on via sys prefs or clicking on a volume. They appear different on the surface but are they really different in any way? Thanks!

using mavericks on a MBP 2011

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have questions about two scenarios -computer with one physical hard drive partitioned into three volumes.

part1- boot mavericks - FileVault2 turned on
part2- empty - encrypted via right click
part3- empty - encrypted via right click

When I encrypt volumes by right clicking I can set a password, i think this can even be a different pass than used for part1. What / is there an encryption key (long alphanumeric key) for these volumes like I got when I turned on FV2 via sys prefs on the boot volume?

No... there is not. You only get that functionality when you encrypt the boot volume through the FileVault GUI in System Preferences. But you can have different passwords for all there volumes if you like.

In your part1 example, what happens when you boot is the system actually boots to the hidden recovery partition and presents the login screen. Then when you enter your password at that screen, it unlocks part1 and boots to it.

2nd question, same setup.

If I want to install a 2nd OSX system on part2, should i just install to the encrypted part2? Or decrypt, install system, boot to it, and turn on FV2 from within sys prefs? Both of these questions revolve around the differences between encrypting by turning FV2 on via sys prefs or clicking on a volume. They appear different on the surface but are they really different in any way? Thanks!

using mavericks on a MBP 2011

I have not tried this, but I believe once booted to either a USB key installer or the recovery partition, you could open Disk Utility then in the file menu unlock say part2, then install to it. I fairly certain that would work.

The part I'm not sure about is since you did not set this up through the FileVault interface, I'm not sure you would be able to boot from it.

I think what might work is to boot to part1 then go to the startup disk pane in System Preferences and select part2 as the startup drive.

waddadoeverybody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for your reply. As part2 is now empty I will just decrypt it and then install to be on the safe side. I'll be installing off an external although I guess I don't have to using your strategy.

When you reinstall osx on a partition which has previously held a system, is the old recovery partition used and written over? More generally, is it true that anytime you install a system or encrypt a partition, a recovery partition is created or re-used and written over?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When you reinstall osx on a partition which has previously held a system, is the old recovery partition used and written over? More generally, is it true that anytime you install a system or encrypt a partition, a recovery partition is created or re-used and written over?

Anytime you do a full OS X install it will create or update the recovery partition. If one is not there, it will make one. But just encrypting a partition with the right click in Finder will not make a recovery partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.