Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melle279

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
Hej all,

I got a Mac Mini Late 2012 running on OSX 10.9.5
But i want to change the timer of my stand by mode.
on the internet i read all the time i need to change it in SystemPref->Energy Save.
but there is no Energy Save icon or app to be found on my mac mini so i can't change the timer.
anyone know how to fix this problem?
526772-5575d2d404a48e84a085405e3e20c615.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 19.27.14.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 19.27.14.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 330

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sleep timer was removed in Yosemite.

OS X is removing more and more control from the end user, especially in El Cap.

Melle279

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
i use osx Mavericks (10.9.5) and i don't want to upgrade because many programs won't work on newer osx.
but is it unpossible now to prevent my mac mini to go to sleep mode?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
My apologies, I completely misunderstood your problem. I see now in your screen shot that the entire Energy Saver preference pane is missing on your computer like you said. I read too quickly and I thought it was only the Sleep Timer you were missing, which would be normal in Yosemite or later.

I don't know why you are missing the entire Energy Saver preference pane. But looking around, the following seems to have worked for a lot of people:

Find the System Preferences app in the Applications folder. Right click, Get Info, and select "Open in 32 bit mode".

Melle279

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
i didn't tried that yet but really don't want to because there are many files on my mac which really can't be lost

Melle279

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
My apologies, I completely misunderstood your problem. I see now in your screen shot that the entire Energy Saver preference pane is missing on your computer like you said. I read too quickly and I thought it was only the Sleep Timer you were missing, which would be normal in Yosemite or later.

I don't know why you are missing the entire Energy Saver preference pane. But looking around, the following seems to have worked for a lot of people:

Find the System Preferences app in the Applications folder. Right click, Get Info, and select "Open in 32 bit mode".
That didn't do the trick either. looks like that because of some weird black magic, the whole energy saver app isn't installed on my mac

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sleep Timer was just fine in my Yosemite installation, just as it is in El-Capitan.

Yes some have it and some don't. It depends on your hardware. I think Haswell and newer have it, but I don't know where the cutoff is, only that it started on some Macs around 2012-2013. There are many threads about it missing.

That didn't do the trick either. looks like that because of some weird black magic, the whole energy saver app isn't installed on my mac

I wouldn't know what to try next except to back up your files and reinstall OS X.[/QUOTE]

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sleep timer, or not - the Energy Saver pref pane will always be there. OP is missing that pane in System Preferences.
Launch your System Preferences.
Go to the View menu, and click Customize...
Can you find the Energy Saver pane? It may be unchecked, which would make it hidden. Bring it back into view by checking the box on that Energy Saver pane.
If that pane is still missing, even in the Customize screen, then you will need to reinstall OS X.
Very easy to do, and you won't lose YOUR files and apps.

Restart to your recovery system (Restart while holding Command-R)
When that recovery system boots, choose Reinstall OS X. It will take most of an hour, maybe longer, as all of the install files have to be downloaded first. Then the system files are reinstalled. Once that is complete, you should be good to go.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Look here on your boot volume:
System/Library/PreferencePanes/EnergySaver.prefPane

Is it there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.