Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hello,

Two of my friends are getting married this coming fall and they've both asked me to take engagement photos for them this summer. I've seen some of these types of photos before and have been searching the web for examples. We live in a northwestern ohio farm town to give an idea of the surroundings.

I'm just looking for ideas, advice, or recommendations from those of you with experience - type of lens, camera settings, time of day, locations, success stories, failures...thanks!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Use either early morning or in the evening. Just after sunrise or just before sunset. The light is really nice those times of day.
For a place find a nice tree, field, or stream (or all three). Basically, treat it like you would a nice portrait.

Hope this helps. I'm no pro photographer but these are somethings that I've used to get some really nice shots in the past.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
thouts,

I can share with you my experience for my engagement photos.

1. We asked our photographer to take some of the shots at/nearby where I proposed to my wife. Since that's where the engagement officially began, we thought it would be nice to revisit the setting where it began. Fortunately, I proposed at a park in the city (philly) and getting shots was not a problem.

2. We also shot at different locations throughout the city that day. One location was in the middle of Broad Street (if you're familiar with Philadelphia). This is actually a common location for wedding/engagement photos.

3. Another location was the Rodin Museum. Lots of interesting sculptures to serve as backdrops. Just don't use "The Gates of Hell" as a backdrop.

One last thing. It rained heavily during our wedding. I'm talking a near-monsoon. So we didn't get the opportunity to take outdoor photos during our wedding day ... so the engagement photos meant that much more to us. Sure, the wedding party wasn't there and we weren't wearing the tux/dress, but it was cool anyways.

Good luck.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, here is a suggestion, go to the venue you will be taking the engagement photos and start practicing shooting there cause from what I learn from a photography workshop, what you imagine isn't necessary what you will get after the shot was taken, so go to the venue and spend time there taking some photos and if possible have a friend around so you can practice taking him/her photo and get the best possible setting and when you are back home, start going through the photos and see what can be improved so when the engagement day arrives, you got a rough idea what to do ;)

All the best and enjoy.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
One other thing ... not sure what your experience level is with shooting people.

To eliminate double chins, have the subject stick their head forward a bit. This will pull the neck tight and make the image look better. Try this technique out a little before using it, otherwise it might make for awkward poses.

ft

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The most important thing about getting good engagement or wedding shots is trying to capture the emotion/connection between the couple. This is usually best done when they are relaxed and interacting well. Set up your shoot in a way that helps them feel natural and make it fun. It doesn't matter how good your equipment or how perfect your lighting is if they look stiff or feel nervous. You know the kind of pictures I'm talking about and none of you will be happy with them. Before hand, ask him or her to tell you some stories about their relationship. Help them "get in the mood" by thinking about what they love about each other. If they are friends of yours then you have an advantage because there is already an existing relationship and you already know some history. Best of luck and enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.