Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I've had the itch to get into photography as a hobby for at least a year, and I finally decided to act upon it this week. I just received my brand new Canon Rebel XTi w/kit lens earlier this week. As one might expect, I've got a few questions:

1.) I need a solution for the neck strap. I find the stock strap adequately comfortable, but I need an easier way to put it on/take it off. As it stands, it's a pain in the butt to do either. I like the strap, but I don't want it on there all the time. Any solutions out there to this? I'm surely not the only one that feels this way...

2.) Gotta find a solution to carry this thing around. I don't plan on going crazy with lens. Heck, I had a hard enough time justifying this $750 purchase to my wife--I can only imagine trying to explain I need another $200-400. My point is, I don't need anything with a ton of room. I just need something that's going to provide adequate protection, but is relatively compact. And I'd prefer something that doesn't look goofy. Style would be a plus.

3.) Speaking of lens, I do plan on getting one more. I'm going to pick up the Canon f/1.8 50(55?)mm lens to get some cool DoF shots going on. Any thoughts on this lens? It's so cheap compared to most, I figure it would be crazy to NOT have it.

4.) I've picked up the book "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D Digital Field Guide". So far, it's been OK. It's nice that it explains things in respect to my specific camera, but it doesn't seem to explain the photography basics as clear as I'd like. I need something that explains the basics to me very clearly. I hear the book "The Digital Photography Book" is pretty good. I hear "Understanding Exposure" is pretty good as well. Any thoughts on either of these?

I suppose that's it for now. Any other thoughts/advice are welcome. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Dangit! I knew I'd forget something.

5.) Surely there must be some Aperture users out there. I can get a pretty good deal on it through an educational discount (despite graduating college 2 years ago--go figure).

Is Aperture overkill for your average amateur photographer? Would it (or should it) replace iPhoto?

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
3.) Speaking of lens, I do plan on getting one more. I'm going to pick up the Canon f/1.8 50(55?)mm lens to get some cool DoF shots going on. Any thoughts on this lens? It's so cheap compared to most, I figure it would be crazy to NOT have it.

Can't tell you much about that lens, but generally the cheaper the lens the cheaper the build/glass the less quality the image can be. That's just generally, not to say they are worthless, but most of the time you get what you pay for.

4.) = I need something that explains the basics to me very clearly.
I suppose that's it for now. Any other thoughts/advice are welcome. Thanks guys!

Not sure what kind of basics you mean, but I've found http://www.wikipedia.org/ to be quite helpful for understanding what I see as the basics.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

That lens is thought of quite well. It is considered as being excellent value for money. Optically it is pretty good, but the build quality is not so great. Don't drop it! Many of these have died by splitting exactly in 2 around a join where it's held together by two small plastic pins.

I've got no personnel experience of it: I've got the better built 1.4 lens.

5.) Surely there must be some Aperture users out there. I can get a pretty good deal on it through an educational discount (despite graduating college 2 years ago--go figure).

Is Aperture overkill for your average amateur photographer? Would it (or should it) replace iPhoto?

I've got and love Aperture. I don't think it's overkill.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Grats on the purchase

1-I have the exact problem, and i bought the Lowepro strap it can quickly dissconnect from the camera check it out

2-just fo for a simple cheap case, i use a back pack style like the Tamrac bags, they are cheap and they work

3-don't know or use cannon lenses

4-i dont like books the best thing to do is just experment and read the manual(RTFM)

5-i could not live without Aperture but i take 500+ shots every time i use my camera, try iPhoto for a while and see what you need. some people use Bridge and photoshop

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
(on the 50mm f/1.8)
Can't tell you much about that lens, but generally the cheaper the lens the cheaper the build/glass the less quality the image can be. That's just generally, not to say they are worthless, but most of the time you get what you pay for.

Generally, this is true. However, the 50mm f/1.8 is the exception to the rule: excellent optical qualities, at a very reasonable price. Definitely worth buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.