Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apoorvasheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Hello All,

This is Apoorva from India.

I am almost ready to purchase Apple TV 4K, and I believe the 3rd generation is the latest one.

I want to quickly confirm whether the next Apple TV is almost near for a release, and if not, what shall be its expected date of release?

I want to make sure that I don't end up buying this in a hurry, and then I see a new Apple TV launched in almost 2 to 3 months. I will save my money for it.

My present setup is:

TV: Sony A80L OLED of 65 inches.

Audio/Video receiver: Yamaha RX-V685.

RX-V685 - Overview - Yamaha - India
7.2-channel AV receiver with advanced features and enhanced functionality, including two HDMI® outputs and MusicCast Surround capability.
in.yamaha.com

Speakers:
Front Left + Right: JBL Studio 600 Series - 630 Bookshelf.
Centre Channel: JBL Studio 600 Series - 625C.
Subwoofer: JBL 660P (12-inch driver).
Surrounds Left + Right: Harman Kardon HKTS 9 on-wall satellite speakers.

My A/V receiver is connected into the HDMI 3 (eArc) port of this SONY A80L OLED TV from the HDMI Out 2 (eArc) of this A/V receiver.

The HDMI cable I use is AudioQuest Pearl 48 8K-10K. (picture attached).

I am on a 100Mbps Fiber internet speed plan.

Presently, the situation is such that even after spending so much money on this setup, I am not able to experience the best Sound quality to make me feel as if the scene has actually happened inside my living room in reality such as a horse running & throwing sands with his/her feet & I feel the sand sound is in reality in my living room.

One of the home theatre dealers suggested that I "need" to use an Apple TV 4K to experience a "Premium level" of audio and video quality, as my SONY TV isn't able to precisely separate audio and video. The mainboard of Sony TV isn't capable enough to provide high-quality sound effects, whereas Apple TV 4K is a dedicated standalone player meant perfect for the premium audio and video quality both - is that true?

Because while I have already watched lots of contents on SONY A80L OLED, I aren't sure of what new refreshment this Apple TV 4K will bring in to see even far superior picture quality?

My SONY OLED A80L already has the same OTT apps, such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ Hotstar, and can transfer all audio types of sound, such as - Dolby Atmos, DTS, 5.1 surround, via its HDMI 3 eArc port. So, what's new I'll experience if I use Apple TV 4K in sound and video quality? B'coz while having mentioned that it transfers all types of sound codecs, I aren't sure of it.

Since I am "Not" experiencing the premium level of sound quality, hence my decision for an Apply TV 4K, which I have heard a lot about.

Attachments

• Img 1.jpeg
    Img 1.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Img 2.jpeg
    Img 2.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Img 3.jpeg
    Img 3.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Pearl 48 from AudioQuest - HDMI.jpeg
    Pearl 48 from AudioQuest - HDMI.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Internet Speed Test.PNG
    Internet Speed Test.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 27

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Nobody knows when the next AppleTV will hit except Apple. Based on history, one can argue that it's about time now but Apple moves at their own pace.

Any 4K box like AppleTV will probably not deliver "far superior picture" vs. same apps in TV. The reasons to buy an AppleTV will likely NOT be for "far superior picture" but for things that AppleTV brings that you can't enjoy with the apps that come with your TV... such as other apps not available there and/or full access to AppleTV "walled garden" stuff, such as DRM-protected content purchased from iTunes Store.

If the TV's video or audio output (to screen and audio) is noticeably challenged/hindered/etc, AppleTV may be an upgrade. Buy from an Apple Store and use the return window to test and pass your own judgement. Return if you don't believe it offers anything more for you.

If the apps on your TV are all you want from TV-related apps, you probably don't need an AppleTV at all.

If you are happy with the quality of all of the speakers you have connected, the horse running sounds, etc not seeming to be room filling will have more to do with the source of the video you are watching vs. leaning on the TV smart apps vs. AppleTV apps. If the horse running video and similar don't have a surround sound or ATMOS track, your system has to invent audio for the other speakers or just play it as is. If you are streaming video with surround or ATMOS sound, the sounds the are supposed to be coming from up to all of the speakers in your setup should come from the right speakers as the director intended. A new AppleTV is unlikely to change how video with such soundtracks sound... unless some of the TV apps do not support surround track output and/or you have some setting set to output stereo instead of full surround in your TV or Receiver settings.

Lastly, looking at your pictures, my suggestions would be:
  • If the first picture with big-sized speakers as your front left & right speakers, spread those out more- they are too close together. Other pictures look like you've switched front left & right speakers to smaller speakers and spread them out more (hanging on the wall). If so, generally, you want your better stereo speakers out front and the smaller ones as surround or rear speakers. So if the other pics represent your setup now, switch the big speakers back to being your front left & right and maybe put them on some speaker stands vs. hanging them on the wall so they are closer to ear level when you are seated instead of up above your head.
  • A picture that shows your sliding door makes it appear that your left surround speaker is hanging very high on a wall and is one of the bigger speakers. Surround speakers should be placed directly left & right of the seating position or a little behind your seating position... and that looks like it is still in FRONT of where you sit. If so, relocate your surround speakers further back... at least BESIDE your seating position if not a bit behind your seat. As is, it appears ALL of your surround sound speakers are FORWARD from where you sit while watching. If so, there is no "surround" because everything is out front.
  • Also, that apparent rear speaker is also closer to your ceiling than your floor and I would guess several feet ABOVE your ears when you are seated. Get it positioned LOWER (ear level when seated).
  • It looks like you have some piece of cloth laying on top and partially in front of your front center channel speaker. Maybe you remove that each time you watch anything? If not, you don't want material obscuring speakers if you can avoid it. Remove the cloth.
So in summary:
  • Best left & right speaker out front and at ear level instead of hanging up high(er) on the wall. Generally, the better speakers are bigger speakers. If that's true here, you appear to have them reversed.
  • Small left & right speaker a little behind or at least directly beside your seating position and also at ear level
  • Take whatever you have laying on your center speaker OFF of it, so that it won't potentially muffle the sound
  • As is, you have a surround sound system with all speakers FORWARD of your seating position and much higher than ear level. To get in the right spot "as is" would involve moving your sofa forward and significantly raising it up on stilts to get your ears in the ideal zone.
I suspect some changes to speaker positions would make a BIG difference in the audio quality of your setup. Instead of hanging them high on walls, get them on lower stands roughly even with your ear level when seated. If it's impossible to reposition them for some reason, your sofa needs to move forward and somehow be raised well above floor level.

I hope all this helps.

Last edited:

apoorvasheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Nobody knows when the next AppleTV will hit except Apple. Based on history, one can argue that it's about time now but Apple moves at their own pace.

Any 4K box like AppleTV will probably not deliver "far superior picture" vs. same apps in TV. The reasons to buy an AppleTV will likely NOT be for "far superior picture" but for things that AppleTV brings that you can't enjoy with the apps that come with your TV... such as other apps not available there and/or full access to AppleTV "walled garden" stuff, such as DRM-protected content purchased from iTunes Store.

If the TV's video or audio output (to screen and audio) is noticeably challenged/hindered/etc, AppleTV may be an upgrade. Buy from an Apple Store and use the return window to test and pass your own judgement. Return if you don't believe it offers anything more for you.

If the apps on your TV are all you want from TV-related apps, you probably don't need an AppleTV at all.

If you are happy with the quality of all of the speakers you have connected, the horse running sounds, etc not seeming to be room filling will have more to do with the source of the video you are watching vs. leaning on the TV smart apps vs. AppleTV apps. If the horse running video and similar don't have a surround sound or ATMOS track, your system has to invent audio for the other speakers or just play it as is. If you are streaming video with surround or ATMOS sound, the sounds the are supposed to be coming from up to all of the speakers in your setup should come from the right speakers as the director intended. A new AppleTV is unlikely to change how video with such soundtracks sound... unless some of the TV apps do not support surround track output and/or you have some setting set to output stereo instead of full surround in your TV or Receiver settings.

Lastly, looking at your pictures, my suggestions would be:
  • If the first picture with big-sized speakers as your front left & right speakers, spread those out more- they are too close together. Other pictures look like you've switched front left & right speakers to smaller speakers and spread them out more (hanging on the wall). If so, generally, you want your better stereo speakers out front and the smaller ones as surround or rear speakers. So if the other pics represent your setup now, switch the big speakers back to being your front left & right and maybe put them on some speaker stands vs. hanging them on the wall so they are closer to ear level when you are seated instead of up above your head.
  • A picture that shows your sliding door makes it appear that your left surround speaker is hanging very high on a wall and is one of the bigger speakers. Surround speakers should be placed directly left & right of the seating position or a little behind your seating position... and that looks like it is still in FRONT of where you sit. If so, relocate your surround speakers further back... at least BESIDE your seating position if not a bit behind your seat. As is, it appears ALL of your surround sound speakers are FORWARD from where you sit while watching. If so, there is no "surround" because everything is out front.
  • Also, that apparent rear speaker is also closer to your ceiling than your floor and I would guess several feet ABOVE your ears when you are seated. Get it positioned LOWER (ear level when seated).
  • It looks like you have some piece of cloth laying on top and partially in front of your front center channel speaker. Maybe you remove that each time you watch anything? If not, you don't want material obscuring speakers if you can avoid it. Remove the cloth.
So in summary:
  • Best left & right speaker out front and at ear level instead of hanging up high(er) on the wall. Generally, the better speakers are bigger speakers. If that's true here, you appear to have them reversed.
  • Small left & right speaker a little behind or at least directly beside your seating position and also at ear level
  • Take whatever you have laying on your center speaker OFF of it, so that it won't potentially muffle the sound
  • As is, you have a surround sound system with all speakers FORWARD of your seating position and much higher than ear level. To get in the right spot "as is" would involve moving your sofa forward and significantly raising it up on stilts to get your ears in the ideal zone.
I suspect some changes to speaker positions would make a BIG difference in the audio quality of your setup. Instead of hanging them high on walls, get them on lower stands roughly even with your ear level when seated. If it's impossible to reposition them for some reason, your sofa needs to move forward and somehow be raised well above floor level.

I hope all this helps.
Oh, I am quite sorry. The Fronts with small speakers are the old pictures. The ones with the Bookshelf are the present setup. And it’s quite difficult to move these Bookshelves away from each other due to the space constraints.

To the left is Dinning table & to the right, door opens & there is a Sub.

And about the surrounds, I played a Hindi movie on Disney+ Hotstar & realised on many scenes that surrounds sound so well at these speakers present height but when I stood up from my Sofa so as to achieve ear level height & played the same scene, the surround sound effects sounded worse. I could not at all feel the sound going from my left to right when I came at its ear level as opposed to the ones I experienced when seated. It’s then when I realized that it will be a very bad consideration to bring these surround speakers at my ear levels. These are Harman Kardon HKTS 9 on-wall satellite speakers bought way back in February, 2013.

Attachments

• E1C90C9A-4CD0-439F-8E74-641522C36392.jpeg
    E1C90C9A-4CD0-439F-8E74-641522C36392.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1388E55A-7602-40F2-8EB4-C4A78FEFA229.jpeg
    1388E55A-7602-40F2-8EB4-C4A78FEFA229.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 843FA872-ABBB-40B4-A522-D9032C664FE4.jpeg
    843FA872-ABBB-40B4-A522-D9032C664FE4.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 18

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Looking at your new pics, I'd still suggest getting some stands and getting the front left & right spread out wider:
  • Front right above the sub and/or position the sub somewhere else (it can be anywhere in the room)
  • Front left at least an equal distance to the left (towards your sliding door (maybe reposition the table there a bit).
  • Remove the piece of cloth covering the front center (unless you perhaps already do that when you watch, then cover it again when you are not watching).
It looks like your surrounds can't be spread much if they are going to stay on that wall. However, if me, I'd be tempted to see if I can get left surround over in the white shelving/wall mount far left of seating position and then try to get the right surround similarly moved to the right if there is comparable room. In other words, instead of being so close to your seat, try to spread them out a bit more.

And you SHOULD be the judge of sound in your environment in terms of standing vs. sitting, but I wonder if the quality difference has to do with your ears getting closer to the speakers when standing. If I was experimenting with further spreading them out as described in the prior paragraph, I'd try them at ear level, seated again. With the additional spread, they should sound better there. However, if not, then you could potentially still have more spread but at standing ear level height.

One other experiment with them where they are: as is, it appears you have them facing either forward or a little towards each other. Have you tried pointing them directly AWAY from the seating position (left surround facing hard left and right surround facing hard right)? I know that might seem illogical but you might find it actually sounds better. It should be easy enough to try.

Back to your sound quality issue: I can only assume that is quality of source (video) and/or video not encoded for surround sound and/or a setting in the TV to "use surround sound" instead of possibly defaulting to stereo. An AppleTV or any similar box is NOT going to send the audio through the TV and back again to the Receiver but scalp off the audio and only send the video portion to the TV (assuming you connect it to the Receiver instead of the TV). So whatever quality of (video) audio is playing from an AppleTV box is going to reach the Receiver and be processed accordingly. No TV audio settings should affect that at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.