Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello,

I am looking for a camera for my entry into DSLR photography. I have been researching for at least 5 months, and none of it has really helped me to decide what camera to get. The models that I am looking at are the Canon XTi, the Nikon D40, and the Nikon D80. I already have some old Nikkor lenses, and have been playing around with them for a bit. Here they are:

AF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6D

AF 70-300 f/4-5.6G

Read some reviews on these at kenrockwell.com, and have been playing around with them for a bit on my old Nikon film camera, and they seem to be "clunky". It doesn't matter to me if I did use these lenses or not.

That being said, I would like to have a nikon camera as opposed to a Canon, their ergonomics feel just right for me. I have held the Nikon D40, and the XTi, both were comfortable in my hand, but the D40 felt a bit more "solid". I have yet to hold a D80.

Alright, know to the meat of this dilemma.

D80:
Perfect: A bit out of my price range (I am a poor student). Would get it in a heartbeat if I had the money, which I sadly do not....

XTi:

I am a little hesitant to be going to a system that I don't know. I know Canon is a great company, their products are great, the pictures produced from their cameras are great. When holding the XTi, the kit lens made it feel alot cheaper than the D40. I would get the XTi, but I am a little hesitant on moving to an unfamiliar system.

D40:
I would get this... BUT:
I hate how there is no built in auto-focus motor!!! That is a big issue for me. I would love to be able to save money and just buy AF lenses instead of spending extra for the AF-S that will work on them. I would really like to hear from user experiences how limiting you find the camera is in terms of... well, everything! However, I have heard that alot of companies are now making the bulk of their lenses AF-S to be able to work on the D40.

So... My needs for this camera are:

1. I would like to keep it for 3 years at least without having to replace it because I need a certain feature, or the technology is obsolete.

2. I want it to take pictures like a DSLR, nice and sharp. NOT like a high end point and shoot.

Thats all for now!

Thanks for reading.

Eric D.

Droo13

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca
Have you considered buying a used camera? You can probably pick up a used Nikon D70 (a few years old, yes) for the same money. Personally I think that would be better than a D40 as far as capabilities. I've owned a D70 since 2005 and absolutely love it. They take amazing shots, have extremely long battery life, and are overall very solid. Just a thought. But if you're looking for new, I'd go with the D40.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello,

I am looking for a camera for my entry into DSLR photography. I have been researching for at least 5 months, and none of it has really helped me to decide what camera to get. The models that I am looking at are the Canon XTi, the Nikon D40, and the Nikon D80. I already have some old Nikkor lenses, and have been playing around with them for a bit. Here they are:

AF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6D

AF 70-300 f/4-5.6G

Read some reviews on these at kenrockwell.com, and have been playing around with them for a bit on my old Nikon film camera, and they seem to be "clunky". It doesn't matter to me if I did use these lenses or not.

That being said, I would like to have a nikon camera as opposed to a Canon, their ergonomics feel just right for me. I have held the Nikon D40, and the XTi, both were comfortable in my hand, but the D40 felt a bit more "solid". I have yet to hold a D80.

If you want to use the AF-D lens with autofocus, then I'd suggest getting a D50. The sensor is a bit newer than the D70s's sensor and it's about D40-sized. Otherwise, the D70s is a good second choice. KEH has 3-4 D50 bodies in what appears to be very good condition.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
KEH? I might have to look into that.

One of my concerns with buying a D50 or D70 is as I said before, that I'll be having to replace it in a year or two because they are already a few years behind, whereas newer cameras like the D40 and D80 would last me another year or two.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
KEH? I might have to look into that.

One of my concerns with buying a D50 or D70 is as I said before, that I'll be having to replace it in a year or two because they are already a few years behind, whereas newer cameras like the D40 and D80 would last me another year or two.

A KEH LN- body should last about as long as a new D40- frankly you'll probably be chomping at the bit for a new dSLR well before one needs enough repair that you can't shoot with it. A few years behind changes what you can take, not the ability of the camera to take good photographs. Also, the D50's sensor is the same basic generation as the D40's sensor, so it's not as much of an issue IMO.

YMMV.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You seem very content on getting the d80. Can you just save a bit more? If you buy something now that you will regret because you didn't wait a while longer, it's not the best choice.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
You seem very content on getting the d80. Can you just save a bit more? If you buy something now that you will regret because you didn't wait a while longer, it's not the best choice.

I am. Problem is that I only have enough money for the D80 body, and some of the needed accessories... No lens with it. That isn't so much of a problem, its just that the lenses I have have gotten bad reviews from kenrockwell and many other places, that I would not want to use them.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006

Like I said...

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I have looked at pictures from both lenses. They look alright, they are certainly acceptable, but they take pictures like my point and shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.