Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Hello,

I've just purchased the Epson Artisan 800 AKA Px800FW and I really like it. however, i'm really getting into printing my Photo's out and would love to print on A3 paper and canvas ( average canvas is £40 does Jessops etc ). Plus I start a Architecture course in Sept. so having a printer at home could be useful.

The only reason I don't want a A3 printer is because of the price of the unit, the ink and the connectivity as I really want wireless.

Then I saw the Epson R1400 for the SAME PRICE as the Artisan 800 - printer/copier/scanner/Fax. Although the A3 printers can only print doesn't bother me that much as I can always use my old Epson RX560 all in one.

... Getting to the point, I understand that the R1400 uses claria ink( like the Artisan 800 ) whilst the R2800 uses Ultrachrome K3. Is there a difference in the prints at all. I know there is a slightly wider gamut but if the prints from the R1400 are going to match my Artisan 800 I may re consider.

I won't be getting the R2880 because of it's price tag but just wanted to know if there is a real difference between the 2 printers in terms of Image quality.

If you have any other views on the 2 printers please let me know.

Oh, and I really would prefer to stick with Epson as I've always used them and like there quality.

Thank You

joaoferro99

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
S. California
Hello,

... Getting to the point, I understand that the R1400 uses claria ink( like the Artisan 800 ) whilst the R2800 uses Ultrachrome K3. Is there a difference in the prints at all. I know there is a slightly wider gamut but if the prints from the R1400 are going to match my Artisan 800 I may re consider.

Thank You

According to many opinions, the Claria inks in the 1400 create a more vibrant color than the pigment ink, with reasonable light fastness under glass ...
If you don't mount all you prints under glass but want ones that last stuck on the fridge, go with pigment inks - i.e., the R1900 or R2880.

If you are looking for more cost effective, you can load a decent claria-equivalent dye ink to you 1400 and use continuous ink system like one of the followings-
http://www.pftq.com/pq/42/cd-dvd-burning.php
http://www.inkrepublic.com/1400.asp
http://www.jonsmithers.com/InkRepublic-Epson_1400/
http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/MikeSokol/review.asp

this is about 80% save and you may save thousands of dollars if you plan to print a lot.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
According to many opinions, the Claria inks in the 1400 create a more vibrant color than the pigment ink, with reasonable light fastness under glass ...
If you don't mount all you prints under glass but want ones that last stuck on the fridge, go with pigment inks - i.e., the R1900 or R2880.

If you are looking for more cost effective, you can load a decent claria-equivalent dye ink to you 1400 and use continuous ink system like one of the followings-
http://www.pftq.com/pq/42/cd-dvd-burning.php
http://www.inkrepublic.com/1400.asp
http://www.jonsmithers.com/InkRepublic-Epson_1400/
http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/MikeSokol/review.asp

this is about 80% save and you may save thousands of dollars if you plan to print a lot.

Thanks for that, I've alread looked into Lyson ( UK ) and they claim their ink are guaranteed by epson and offer a wider gamut.

I hate to be lazy but could you give me a brief explanation about dye ink and pigment ink in terms of vibrancy and sharpness,or should I just google it.

Which printer and ink types do you use if you din't mind me asking ? , and experience with Epson A3 ?

Thank You

NStocks

joaoferro99

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
S. California
Thanks for that, I've alread looked into Lyson ( UK ) and they claim their ink are guaranteed by epson and offer a wider gamut.

I hate to be lazy but could you give me a brief explanation about dye ink and pigment ink in terms of vibrancy and sharpness,or should I just google it.

Which printer and ink types do you use if you din't mind me asking ? , and experience with Epson A3 ?

Thank You

NStocks

I have an old epson R2400 and use it with CIS (continuous ink system) I got from InkRepublic, I am very pleased with the print quality from their IRK3 inkset. The quality of the IRK3 inks is awesome. Even on the Red River Aurora Natural, the image color is quite faithful, ... brilliant even!
Black & white is likewise of the highest quality on my fine art papers.

I have friend using Lyson R2400 inks too, we compared the glossiness, the InkRepublic's new IRK3 ink has higher glossy, and is about equal to Epson's. The lyson one has slighly magenta cast, and InkRepublic's new IRK3 inks look as great as Epson's. I dont have to customize any profiles, just let printer handle it. Both of Lyson and InkRepublic should have the best non-OEM inks on this market.

If you choose 1400, you may want to try their Dye ink, which is great quality too. (cheaper by the way)

As for pigment and dye ink. The most recent pigmented inks like Epson or InkRepublic have overcome the reduced glossiness problems and now provide vibrant long lasting colors and sharp laser like black text which is dry to the touch as soon as it is printed and smudge and waterproof.

Traditionally dye based inks have given brighter and more vibrant prints, the disadvantages were that they were liable to smudge, were definitely not waterproof were more likely to fade and needed decent quality paper to print on. Again these disadvantages have been overcome by Epson and InkRepublic. Both InkRepublic and Epson's dye are waterproof and can last longer than other 3rd parties inks.

But if you want to preserve your memories then spray some clear gloss protective and store your pictures in a photo album, safe from direct sunlight and protected from contact with the air around us.

my 2 cents.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have the 1400 and use both the 2880 and 1900 at school. The 1400 is an excellent printer, but both the 1900 and 2880 have more inks. Eight as opposed to six, I believe and produce more vibrant skin tones. The 1900 and 2880 both have varnish tanks that really help with gloss photos. I never thought of spray varnish as has been mentioned here, and I will give it a try.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I have decided to get the R1900 and will be ordering next week, but :

The PX800FW 6 ink claria claims to be Hi-Def, how will those prints look against the R1900 which are pigment based ink because it just 'lay' on top of the paper like paint rather than soaking into it like dye based.

I know that the R1900 ( and other models) comes with a full set of Cartridges, but say the Blue runs out can I replace that with Lyson or INKrepublic, alongside the Genuine cartridges that have not yet ran out ? Am I right in saying that the 2 Black cartridges automatically change depending on the Photo?

For £300 you don't get a USB cable but instead of been tied down to a cable all the time, which is the best wireless print server to allow me to print right from my Macbook Pro wirelessly ( apart from the expensive epson one )

How have you found Glossy papers ? Do you stay with Epson papers or use 3rd party ? Lyson say their paper is a brighter white and so the lighter colors have a brighter appearance because there is no White ink it relies on the paper.

Lastly, everytime I go to turn on the Printer, would it always pruge or charge the ink resulting in wasted ink, or is this just when I change a cartridge ?

Thank yo for your helpful answers

NStocks

jcpenn

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
Px800FW, is it a UK model?
wondering how they name the models in different area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.