Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parsillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Hello,

I've been using an Epson R3000 for about five years and during that time I've kept up to date on both my Mac OS (currently at 10.14.4) and Photoshop CC - although for now I'm sticking with CC 2018. A few days ago I started getting strange colors on my prints that were not resembling my files at all and usually when that happens it's due to one or more clogged nozzles. Not in this case. Perfect nozzle check patterns. Did a head cleaning anyway. Again, perfect test results. Got brand new ink cartridges. Same issue. Talked to Epson - they say that since they haven't updated a printer driver for my model since OS 10.6, it's the driver (hence a generic one) that's causing the issue. Meanwhile I've been using this printer and that very driver for years and have had nothing but good results, until a few days ago - out of the blue. Nothing had changed in my workflow. I even tried letting the printer manage the color - same bad result. I tried everything - deleting the driver - reinstalling. Rebooting. Reinstalling PS. Then I tried printing from both Preview and (even) Pages - same bad color.

If I were to try and describe how the images are printing (I've tried with several different photographs) is that 1): They tend to oversaturate the image overall but also oversaturate one color in particular to a sickening degree. And 2): The prints come out brighter than they should be.

And these are all images that I had successfully printed within the last couple of weeks so I can compare.

I'm using Epson Ultra Presentation Matte and Epson UltraSmooth papers with Epson's own ICC paper profiles (which have always been just fine). I'm on a late 2015 IMac 5K Retina and have a calibrated screen.

Is there anyone out there who's experiencing anything remotely similar with an older Epson printer like mine?

rich burr

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
I'm running Mac OS 10.14.3 and have an Epson R3000. Printed as recently as last weekend (4 days ago). No issues. Using the Apple provided print driver - not sure whether it's generic or not. It still has the same settings for paper combinations and its settings as before. I rarely use custom ICC profiles - but I have on some papers from the paper manufacturers. Is it a profile mismatch on your end perhaps?

parsillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Well that's what it seems like, but I'm using the ICC profiles for the Epson papers that come with the printer driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.